Should I get involved or should I stay out?

I teach a young girl at school (11yrs old) who is really struggling at the moment. She has not been socializing with other kids, not smiling or being her usual happy self. I found out just the other day that her baby brother was born premature and has been in the NICU for 3 weeks now. I had a little word with her... show more I teach a young girl at school (11yrs old) who is really struggling at the moment. She has not been socializing with other kids, not smiling or being her usual happy self. I found out just the other day that her baby brother was born premature and has been in the NICU for 3 weeks now. I had a little word with her about how she felt about this and she burst into tears and told me that she really misses her mum. I spoke to her dad about this when he picked her up the other day and he said that she hasn't seen her mum since the baby was born (3 weeks ago). They think it would be too hard for the kids to see their brother in his condition. He said to me that I needed to call his wife and tell her exactly what I told him... Explain how their daughter is not doing well at school because she misses her. I feel like doing that however is going to do no good, she's clearly already very stressed and the last thing she needs is something else to worry about. But on the other hand this is her child... I feel like the situation with this kid is just going to deteriorate the longer her mum stays away. I have no clue what to do and only want to do what's best for this little girl! What do you think, should I call her mother or should I stay out?
9 answers 9