What do YOU look for in a Photographer?

What are some of the things you look for? List 1-5 things that you would look for when hiring a Photographer.

BONUS Question:

When searching for a photographer, what are some things to watch out for that you may consider to be a "turn-off"?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 years ago
    Favorite Answer

1. A strong portfolio showing the kind of images you want ie a wedding photographer should have numerous images from numerous weddings.

2. Business License & Insurance: does this person have her/his paperwork in order? Does she/he have a business license, liability insurance, workers comp insurance? If not, and there is a problem at your event, you could find yourself paying someone's claim.

3. References: Can this person supply you with the names and contact info of previous clients? Do those clients give a good reference? Worth your time to check.

4. Online reputation: does the person have good online presence and reviews (remember there is alway one person who will be dissatisified no matter what)? Overall are people saying good or bad things?

5. How long has the person been in business? Verify the dates the business started.

Bonus: Be wary of someone who won't provide any of the above, has an unprofessional manner and won't provide a contract. All agreements MUST be in writing. Be wary of someone who promises too much or charges to little. A small wedding should start at about $2500 - somebody who will give you all their shots for $100 (working the full day) is somebody to avoid.

• Steve P
      Lv 7
      3 years agoReport

Good going Jeannie!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • joedlh
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

Someone who did their own homework when they were in school.

• John P
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

What sort of photography do you want to commission?

Wedding, Portrait, Children?

Industrial?

Fashion?

Theatrical?

Travel?

Wildlife?

Sports?

Etc, etc

No one photographer will be "best" at all genres of photography.

• 3 years ago

1. Strong portfolio

2. Strong portfolio

3. Strong portfolio

4. Strong portfolio

5. Strong portfolio

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

I like artistic photography and do not care for commercial photography so I look for good composition interesting aesthetic ideas and interesting subject matter as well as good lighting and if it is black and white which some of the very best artistic photography is I look at the values, the focal point and the use of atmospheric effects like mist or or clouds. I also look for interesting textures. If there is human subject matter I look for the expressions and the character of the people which is what I have against commercial photos as the people look plastic.

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

1) They know exactly where the perfect angle is

2) attention to detail

3) Creative

4) landscape over portrait view

5) Edits

Bonus: When they overedit or photoshop to the point that it's uncanny

• 3 years ago

Someone who can take A+ photos and get me on the cover of a magazine

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.