What can be my options, shopping for Vacuum cleaners?

I am shopping to replace my broken Dyson(r) vacuum cleaner for my home.

Having bought and used this DC50 Stand-up vacuum for a few years, I think it does not CLEAN as strongly as other / much-older brands of vacuum cleaners do / did.

Should I consider either of the commercially-sold stand-up vac's (SEARS - Kemore, etc.) or should I change to a Container-type of vacuum cleaner to clean around my home, car and elsewhere - for the best-price?

• SteveN
    Favorite Answer

For the longest time, we had an Electrolux canister vaccum in our home. Then we switched to using a central vacuum when we were building our new home. Not sure what your needs are but they are very good if you have a basement or crawlspace where you can pass the PVC pipes needed for it.

But if you are looking to replace the Dyson with another upright model, Consumer Reports did test various vacuum cleaners and Dyson Ball models were rated the best for the 'bagless upright" category, although more expensive than most other brands.

The top-rated upright models with bags were from Kenmore and Miele. Same was true for the canister type...Miele and Kenmore.

Recommended models:

Kenmore - 31150, 31140, 31069, 31220, 21814, 81714, 21714

Miele - Dynamic U1, Complete C3

Hoover - UH 30600

Shark - NV586, NV583

Not sure if that helps or not. Just letting you know. Main issues between the models was how noisy they were and how well they clean on carpet as opposed to bare floors.

I SWEAR by our Dyson. We have the bagless one that's for pets, and it's done a fantastic job.

Have you taken your broken one to a Dyson shop? Maybe they can fix it for you. We do get ours serviced every so often, but we've had it for nine years now and it's going strong.

Edit: I will say, avoid a Dirt Devil at all costs. Biggest waste of money EVER. I'm not a fan of any carpet cleaner with bags, either. We have to empty ours often, but it's actually nice because it's so easy to retrieve anything that got picked up accidentally.

I had a canister vacuum that was good on carpets(it had a rotating brush head). I currently have a upright vacuum with a hose that works kind of like a canister vac hose.) I think the defining question for me is vacuuming carpeted stairs. The canister was great at vacuuming carpeted stairs. The upright will do the job but it takes strength and agility to maneuver an upright on stairs.

I like the versatility of Kenmore canister vacs from Sears. Have only had to purchase two, since 1983.

You need different vacuums for different applications. Buy the most convenient design for the use, and the most powerful vacuum of that design.

• ?

I personally buy one of the cheap Bissell brand vacuum cleaners from Walmart.

Whenever the wife says it is not working as well as it used to (about four years on average) I just buy another one (~$50) and chuck the old one in the garbage. No heartburn whatsoever.

• Jamey

I got one of those cordless vacuums (it's a good one and cost £300) it's brilliant!

I like Sears & Hoover Wind Tunnel

bissell only