What are good fictional books to read?

I'm branching out of fantasy and I'm wanting some good books to read. I don't mind classics. I have read To Kill a Mockingbird.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • phoebe
    Lv 6
    2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Classic(er) books:

The Member of the Wedding by Carson McCullers

Wise Blood by Flannery O Connor

The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison

I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith

Nonclassic fiction:

A Painted House by John Grisham

Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb

Light on Snow by Anita Shreve

The Blue Diary by Alice Hoffman

In the Unlikely Event by Judy Blume

Clover by Dorie Sanders

Mary Coin by Marisa Silver

• Login to reply the answers
  • 2 years ago

Shine by Lauren Myracle

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

Different genres:

"For Couples Only," Shaunti Feldhahn;

"The Yoga of Nutrition," Omraam Aivanhov;

"Code of Conduct;"

"Northanger Abbey;"

"West with the Night;"

"Animal Farm;"

"The Great Divorce;"

"The Code of the Woosters;"

"The Lost Symbol," Dan Brown;

"Michael Vey: The Prisoner of Cell 25;"

"Tree Shepherd's Daughter;"

"The Neverending Story;"

"Tom's Midnight Garden;"

"The Little White Horse;"

"Finding a Higher Love;"

"That Hideous Strength;"

"The Chronicles of Narnia" series;

• 2 years ago

These are my favorites (some are fantasy, sorry!)

Pride and Prejudice By:Jane Austen - Two extremely stubborn people hate each other and end up falling in love.

Without a Trace By: Colleen Coble - A woman tries to solve a murder that links to the disappearance of her husband and son.

Harry Potter Series By:J.K. Rowling - an orphan lives with his awful aunt and uncle but discovers he's a wizard. He goes to a wizard school and attempts to defeat the unstoppable evil wizard who killed his parents.

Lord of The Rings Trilogy By:J.R.R Tolkien - a ring of power was created and an evil wizard now rules with it. It must be destroyed before he completely takes over the world

Oogy By:Larry Levin - (true story) bait dog finds a happy family even though he was considered very ugly

The Narnia Series By:C.S. Lewis - children find a magical world where Aslan, a great lion, reigns. They help to keep peace and keep the evil queen away.

Sherlock Holmes By:Arthur Conan Doyle - a detective and his friend solve unusual mysteries.

A Series of Unfortunate Events By: Lemony Snicket - a short, sad(ish), funny tale of the Baudelaire children who tragically lost their home in fire and are being chased be Count Olaf for their money. (I love Snicket's writing style!)

Return to Harmony By:Janette Oke - two best friends go their separate ways because of many trials in their lives.

Matched By: Ally Condie - a girl chooses to not follow of the rules of a society who decides who you love, where you work, how you live, and when you die (I really hated the other two books in this series, though)

Eragon By: Christopher Paolini - a boy takes a stone that turns out to be a dragon egg. His uncle is murdered by the king, which causes the boy and his dragon to set off to take revenge and possibly save the world.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 years ago

lol I could write forever on this one. I am a huge bookworm. I will tell two and give a summary too.

1. Love, Inc. by Yvonne Collins and Sandy Rideout

A girl whose culturally different parents divorced is caught by her dad alone at home with a boy while the kitchen ends up on fire. She goes to group therapy and meets other boys and girls whose parents divorced. There she meets and buddies up with two other girls. All three are different.

The main girl is Pakistani but has her Scottish dad's fiery red hair and her mom's side tries to get her to wear head scarves and be more into the Muslim culture but she refuses. One girl is blonde and has an addiction to just taking it easy and having fun and her mom has been married and divorced many times. One girl has a street-tough facade and basically has to raise herself and her pit bull, because her mom is constantly drunk and her dad constantly acts like a horny teen AND he used her college money to pay for his girlfriend's boobs.

All three girls find out their boyfriends are the same guy. He is three-timing them. They come up with Love, Inc. to help other girls in romantic situations. Red helps the couples work things out if they have problems. Blondie helps bring people together. Street Smart helps people seek revenge on their significant others if they were wronged.

In their own lives, the shock and pain from being three-timed affects the three girls differently. Red unknowingly develops PTSD and doesn't recognize Blondie's brother likes her until Blondie and Street Smart points it out. Blondie doesn't really get affected by the three-timer. Street Smart lost her virginity to him and so she has rage from her personal life and this situation that boils over.

2. The Anti-Prom by Abby McDonald

In this book, there is a top popular girl, someone who doesn't really fit into any social cliques and a girl who society would quickly label a bad girl.

Popular goes back to retrieve something from the limo and sees her boyfriend and best friend kissing and touching each other in the limo. She doesn't let them know she's there. She and the other two girls chance meeting and they talk and bust out of the party for the ultimate revenge against the best friend who betrayed Popular.

They unfortunately find out Best Friend has been finding out the secrets of everyone at school and has been storing them in her diary possibly to hold over everyone's heads later. The ultimate blackmail book. So, their quest to reveal Best Friend's secrets tanked because they didn't want to reveal everyone else's secrets. But Popular does find a way to get even after going back to the party and seeing Best Friend unashamedly position herself so Popular's boyfriend can look down her dress while with Popular.

• chorle
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

I will assume you are asking for non fantasy books in fiction and not book that are fictitious ;)

Compromise and read or listen to Dodger which is a historical fiction by Terry Pratchett.

You could read my favorite Sherlock Holmes story A Double Barreled Detective Story by Mark Twain

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/3180

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.