Diversity in Victorian London?

Hello, I m currently working on a book that takes place in London, in the late 1800 s. I d love for it to have at least one character that isn t white, but I m not sure how different ethnic groups worked in that time period. If anyone could explain to me where they primarily lived and how they were perceived in society (preferably with sources) it would be greatly appreciated.

Favorite Answer

If this is your notion of researching a historical novel, it doesn't deserve ever to get published.

• John P

In those times there were in London many fairly small groups of mostly European ethnicities and nationalities, which were rather despised by many native Britons. There would have been a few people of darker skin tone, as there would have been in any large British city with a seaport, but almost none compared with the number who came into Britain after 1948.

The notion of "diversity" in racial or nationality matters is very recent, less than 50 years old in general matters across the nation, certainly not a word used before WW2 in terms of nationality and ethnicity.

Put it another way: I was born in 1946 on the Isle of Wight (south coast of England). As I was growing up I had absolutely no idea that there were any black or other coloured people living and working in Britain. I was probably in my mid teens before I knew about black etc people living and working in Britain, though I had always known of Britain's connection with darker races through the Empire and Commonwealth.

there are quite a few articles on the internet about ethnic minorities in Victorian britain, you can find them through your search engine.

As Britain went into India in the 1850's, an Indian of higher birth might qualify.

If you're serious about this, you need to learn how to do research like a grownup. Hint: asking random strangers online isn't "research."

There are a number of books about people from India, China, and elsewhere who were in London in the late 19th century. Go to your library and find some of them. If you don't know how, then a librarian will be happy to show you how to find books on a desired subject -- a skill most of us learned back in the 4th grade.

• dude i just wanted suggested websites. i have been doing actual research as well, i just thought maybe some people had suggestions as to where i could find information online. it must be nice being that bitter lmao. chill.

• Tim D

There were plenty of immigrants from all corners of the globe. Since many were sailors the best place to find one would be near the docks. Ships lost crew members at a frightening rate due to disease, so they would take on whatever crew they could find and discharge them at the end of the voyage.

In 1892 the first Asian MP was elected.