Dubbs
Dubbs asked in SportsWrestling · 3 years ago

Does anybody else think WWE is intentionally keeping Daniel Bryan in retirement?

Daniel Bryan has been medically cleared to wrestle by numerous doctors. It's only the WWE doctors that refuse to clear him. Everyone knows what happened leading up to WrestleMania XXX. Bryan was never meant to be "the guy" but his connection to the fans is so remarkable that they would not be satisfied with anybody else. With WWE's refusal to clear Bryan he has now asked to be released from his contract, but they, again, refuse to release him. McMahon's been pushing Roman Reigns for the past 3 years and the fans continue to reject him because they don't want the company choosing their heroes for them. If Bryan is released from his contract and signs with TNA or ROH or what have you, all that unique fan base he's had will follow him. Most fans don't look behind the scenes on the internet and are unaware WWE is holding Bryan in retirement. Those that are aware think it's for his own personal health. Anyone who followed CM Punk's story know that the WWE wasn't that concerned with his health when his elbow locked up. McMahon and Helmsley want their guys on top and not the small technical marvels like Bryan and Punk.

Favorite Answer

A very interesting question

My intention was to write NO like most others however thinking about it my answer is now YES.

WWE are protecting themselves from the next Benoit.

In my opinion only - it is not personal on any level, it is simply WWE protecting themselves AND protecting Bryan.

I would love to see him in action again, and in WWE - but he has a family to think about and his long term health.

Once his contract is up then he will have the option to find a new employer if he wants to actively wrestle

• Candle

OK. I don't buy into this idea of WWE vs It's Audience. They've proven time and time again that they'll do anything to keep people interested, especially the core fan base, and Bryan finally getting acknowledged with his push around Wrestlemania 30 is proof of that. I don't think they're shelving Bryan because they don't want him to wrestle because he doesn't 'fit the bill'. There are a lot of guys right now getting opportunities who don't 'fit the bill'. Shinsuke doesn't fit the bill, Finn didn't fit the bill either when he won the WWE Universal Championship. Kevin Owens doesn't fit the bill. AJ doesn't fit the bill. If anything, Bryan woke them up to the fact that they've lost the pop culture crash TV fandom and all that's really left to appease is the die hard core audience.

WWE might not care about Bryan, how open he is about things, or even him as a competitor or entertainer, but they don't want another Benoit on their hands. Their doctors aren't beholden to the WWE. Their doctors are beholden to the talent's health.

I also don't think WWE cares if Bryan goes somewhere else. Time and time again it's been proven with the likes of Kurt Angle, Brock Lesnar, Christian, and countless others that fanbases of one particular wrestler don't simply uproot and stop watching WWE,or that they turn to another promotion and fill in the gap and make competition.

I like Bryan, but if they lost him he wouldn't be the biggest star they ever let go.

WWE doesn't want him to wrestle so that he can not suffer more brain damage.

Because he simply needs to stop wrestling for fear of further brain damage via more concussions.

I'm sorry but that's just silly. The WWE is a business. They're not going to intentionally hold someone back that could make them money.

• succor

If Daniel Bryan has recovered from brain injury, then he should he allowed to return to wrestle.

WWF changed its whole main-event style to accommodate Steve Austin after he broke his neck, I can't see why Bryan can't be accommodated in the same way.

I dont agree with You On Punk but I certainly agree with your theory on Bryan. Your are too good with that. Pushing Roman is long time agenda, viewer will accept but Roman will not be able to connect with the WWE universe like Cena, Bryan or Punk.