Why did Native Americans have nice bodies if they never worked out?

I've been looking at pictures of hunters and gatherers from the Americas, Africa, Asia and the Pacific Islands. When you look at the men you notice their bodies are extremely attractive they have strong biceps, nice abs, big buns and strong legs. Can somebody explain how did Native Americans have nice bodies. How can I get a body like that. My physique is a dad bod like Mr. T since I workout and eat a lot. My friend told me Native Americans never did push ups and used dumbbells so how did Native Americans have strong muscular bodies? I mean how is it that a person who does push ups and dumbbells is still weak compared to hunters and gathers? Can somebody with common sense explain to me what work out did Native Americans do in order to gain that muscular body. I mean they never had bench press, dumbbells, push ups and other weight lifting exercise so what was their work out and what can I do to have the same lean muscle and higher bone density like the Native Americans?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Working out (in, like, a gym) is a substitute for real use of the muscles. It doesn't mean that you are fit for real work. In fact, it can lead to muscle-bound bodies that are useless for the things that matter.

Amerinds (and other so-called native peoples) as hunter-gatherers spent a lot of time chasing their food or stooping to pick it up from the ground or from the trees. They spent very little time sitting at desks or standing waiting for customers to come to them.

Plus, there were times when they went hungry, often for days or weeks at a time. It really was a lifestyle where you had to work extremely hard physically to get enough food to not starve to death. Think of it: you use a bow and arrow to kill a deer; unlike with a rifle shot, the animal could run for miles before it dropped dead. That's miles you'd have to run before you could cut the meat into carry-able portions that you could bring back to your village or tribe. Try lifting a hundred pounds of meat and carrying it (even with a travois) for ten or twenty miles. Oh, and remember you had to get to the dead animal before the wolves and other hunters did, and possibly even fight off a pack of wolves before you could salvage the meat and the skin for later use.

The Amerinds did NOT have horses (or other animals) that could carry heavy loads for you. Even after Europeans brought horses to the Americas, if you wanted to get a horse, you had to stalk it for days or weeks before you could start to domesticate it. They developed the stamina to spend those days chasing after animals that could run far faster than they could.

Want to emulate them?

Then get out of the gyms! Spend weeks and months making sure the food you need is kept free of weeds and other nutrient sucking plants, and the time chasing after a deer that can spot or smell you a hundred yards away and can run a mile in less than two minutes.

• Mercy
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

Are you kidding . There whole day was a workout to survive.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Seriously? By doing work outside.

• 4 years ago

uh they don't

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Bill-M
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

They worked out every day. You try living off the land and see how hard it is.

Harder than going to the gym.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

They didn't need it (much like your grandparents, whatever their nationality is). Sedentarism and junk food are relatively recent. Only a century ago most people didn't have cars nor any kind of public transport, so they had either to ride a horse (if they owned one), a bike or simply go by foot (the poorest ones).

Computers didn't exist and most people worked long hours (>10). Mothers had on average 6 kids. This translates into very few time left to lie in the couch doing nothing.

In addition, there was less food available, but I dare to say that the quality was on average better.

• Bobbin
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

Go live in the wild with only the food you can get with your bare hands. You'll get lean pretty fast.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

For the start Native Americans did not sit on their a55e5 all day going onto YA and asking weird questions they worked hard with their bodies which gave them that physique. They ran to chase their prey, they walked around looking for a prey, they swam to hunt for fish and they would carry huge animals such as bison which would make their muscles lean. Native Americans ate less and did more workout food was scarce back then which is why most Native Americans died around their 30's or 40's despite of being healthier than your modern Human. During the pastoral agricultural times things actually started to get better with Humans not only farming but they also ate more hence if you saw the men back in those days their physique was more of a dad bod exactly as how you have described for your body which is not bad compared to being slim like hunters and gatherers. Since Humans are now living in a disgusting industrial world most people are fat because now most humans rely on technology than brawn. However if you expect your body to be like the ancient hunters and gatherers start out by losing weight then do a lot of cardio and start lifting a lot of pounds of things such as 2 cases of 40 water bottles, heavy steel or other heavy items your body will slowly become the body of a hunter and gatherer.

• Liz
    Lv 6
    4 years ago

Hunting and gathering require a lot of physical work. Also in the 1800s there was no transportation or fancy tools, they worked long, hard days. Cutting wood for fires, carrying water, walking to find food etc is hard. And they carried all their stuff when they changed locations. Get a physical job in construction, farming or something similar. You will get closer to what they had.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.