Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsDiabetes · 4 years ago

What is the fundamental difference between Novolog and Humalog insulin?

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Gary B
    Lv 7
    4 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    The manufacturer's name.

    They are not necessarily drop-for-drop replaceable because the dosage in the bottles are different, but medically, they are exactly the same. Same molecule, same formula -- everything.

    Novolog is manufactured by Novo Nordisk Pharmatech. This is a Danish company with offices and production facilities in the United States., and several other countries

    Humalog is manufactured by Eli Lilly and Company, an American Company based in the United States with manufacturing facilities. in the United States, and several other countries.

    BOTH countries use the rDNA (Recombinant DNA) process to manufacturer insulin. YEAST cells are used, the same yeast cells that make bread rise and smell good, and put the alcohol in beer and wine. The yeast cell are fed sugar and some other nutrients. The yeast eat the sugar, and give off carbon dioxide bubbles and drinking alcohol as waste product. The resulting liquid is filtered out and purified, leaving you beer or wine or bread. Different types of nutrients (wheat, barley, rice, grapes, etc) produce different wines and flavors.

    [Yep, if you like alcoholic beverages, know that you are drinking Yeast Piss!]

    In the rDNA process used to make insulin, the yeast cells have been genetically modified to produce INSULIN instead of alcohol. Again, the yeast are fed, the result is filtered and purified, and then dried to crystals. Just before bottling, the crystallized insulin is mixed with distilled water to make the "purity" as determined by the type of insulin needed. [This insulin crystals / distilled water combination is the difference between Novolog and Humalog.]

    No, insulin is NO LONGER made by mashing up the pancreas of pig and cows. I grew up near Indianapolis, the World Headquarters of Eli Lilly Company. We used to take school field trips to the insulin manufacturing plant. [Believe me -- bubbling yeast making insulin DOES NOT smell as good as bubbling yeast making bread or beer!]

    The original headquarters for Eli Lilly was located near the Indianapolis Stock Yards and Meat Packing District. In the early days, workers from Lilly would take wheel barrows a couple of block down to the abattoir (slaughter house) and get them full of cow, pig, and sheep pancreases. These were wheeled back to the Lilly factory, mashed into a goo similar to spaghetti sauce, and then the insulin was filtered out and distilled.

    Today, 95% of ALL insulin in the world is produced by the genetically modified Yeast. The remaining 5% is manufactured in the "old way", and is sold ONLY to veterinarians. yes, dogs, cats, cows, horses, sheep, and pigs ALL can get diabetes.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.