.
. asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 years ago

Do Drawings Help In A Novel?

How many drawings should be more than enough in a book and about what should they be?

Favorite Answer

I think they can be of tremendous help. I have read many adult novels with some illustrations. There ie a author/artist named Brom you should check out. He illustrates his books. He wrote a very very grown up version/sequel of Peter Pan that had illustrations of all of the characters, which was nice, because it had an erotic tone, and the characters were beautiful young men. It was NOT porn. It was not even a romance, before you ask. He wrote another one named Krumpus, about the evil version of Santa. The illustration must fit the tone, and the the illustrations obviously need to be meant for adults if the book is aimed at adults. But then, some of the best literature was originally aimed at children. Like Alice in Wonderland,and The Hobbit. Besides, who cares if something has been done before or not. Originality is actually a good thing. I wouldn't listen to people who mock something just because they have never seen it done.

As to how many, I would say less is more. You don't want it to be overly illustrated. Often the cover page, and one for each new chapter is how it is done in adult books. Of course, then there's a lot of illustration in books like The Fairy Compendium, which is a book aimed at adults, but you may not think it if you didn't open it. This book went on to become box office hit movie "Labyrinth" with David Bowie and Jennifer Connely. Its almost all illustrations.

No

The only time drawings are normal is in children's books or comic books.

• Cogito

Any novel aimed at readers over the age of ten should not have drawings at all, unless they're real works of art, as in some hardback versions of Lord of The Rings.

Drawings don't 'help' any novel unless they're a map of an imaginary country, etc.

• Tina

How many novels have you seen with pictures? they are almost unknown, except in YA novels at the younger end of the spectrum.

• Martine2 years agoReport

Plenty. I have never seen one in a YA book, but many adult novels have illustrations. There is even a whole category of such books. But some famous ones you should know would be Alice in Wonderland, which is an adult book, btw. I guess you don't visit the adult fiction area in bookstores much.

Ever drawn a naked lady?