Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (American) · 2 years ago

Should I join the High School Football Team?

I am going into High School in about 1 year. (Going into 8th grade this year) I never played sports in my life. I have been getting into football lately, I have been watching videos and I am interested in joining the high school football team on the high school i'm attending in the near future. What should I expect? What should I be expecting to buy for the sport? Are practices during or after school? If you want to ask me any questions feel free to ask.

Best Answer

By far, American Football is the best sport to participate in and watch. The opportunity to play is much greater just for the fact that you have 11 offensive players, 11 defensive players, a punter and a kicker let alone punt team, punt receive team, kick-off team and kick-off receive team.

However, there is a lot of work involved. I grew up playing in little league for 3 seasons, then junior high (7th, 8th and 9th grade), all through high school and then all of the way through college. I wouldn't trade those experiences for anything.

Is there a reason that you are not participating this season? If you can, I would encourage you to participate now because at a lower level you will get more acclimated to how football is practiced and played so that next season you will have a better idea of what to expect at a higher level.

American Football is a collision sport and honestly you would benefit by hitting others and getting hit now so it won't be a shock to you at the next level (but you can certainly handle the hits even if you don't participate in the 8th grade). As you move along in experience and listen to your coaches, you will improve your hitting techniques at whichever position you will be assigned to.

Also understand that American Football is actually so much more mental than it is physical...really. It's been said that it is 90% mental and 10% physical. As a football player, each position has assignments. Offense, they have assignments on what to do each play and more & more they are based upon what the defense is lined-up in...but that will be more so at a higher level. Defense has assignments also, but they are reactionary to what the offense does and of course how the offense lines-up for each play. You will need to know what to do for each play and/or situation depending on which side of the ball that you play. Football isn't a bunch of guys slamming into each other at random although it may look like that from the casual observer but each player has a job to do.

So you have the physical component and the mental component and the development of each during the regular season/practice and off-season.

I would advise you to play at your current 8th grade level now...even though practice has already started for most 8th grade level teams (doesn't have to be your school, it could also be a league if you are in a decent-sized city). Next, I would encourage you to find out if your school has an off-season workout (roughly January through April). If not, see if the high school that you will be attending next year would allow you to participate in their off-season workouts. If not, then perhaps there might be a local person/trainer who could help you prepare for the next football season by lifting weights and running/agility workouts. Make sure you or your parent contacts your upcoming high school football coach before the end of the 2018 school year so that if the high school has summer workouts, you will know about it and be a part of it. These off-season workouts will help you adjust to the physical stress component and prepare you for the actual football practices in 2018 AND it can also help you make friends with soon-to-be teammates. It is always good to have familiar "faces" and some friends when you show up for your physical and first day of practice. You will also get to know some of your coaches before the first day of practice too. Your coaches will let you know what types of equipment you may want to purchase, but normally your high school provides a t-shirt, shorts, helmet & chinstrap, shoulder pads, practice pants, practice jersey, game pants, game jersey and the pads that go insider both your practice & game pants (2 knee pads, 2 thigh pads, 2 hip pads and a tailbone pad). They may also provide a mouthpiece. You will probably need to purchase your cleats and any other "accessory pads" and gloves if you want them. The 8th grade can be a bit different if it is sponsored by your school and a lot different if it is a private league. You would probably have to purchase everything that I mentioned above if it is in a private league.

I also recommend that you listen to and respect your coaches. They are there to help you, not hurt you although you may think sometimes that may not be the case. Remember, they want to win and have the best opportunity to win with the best players on offense and defense. Also, hustle. When a coach asks you to do something, do it, and do it to the best of your ability...even if it is holding a dummy pad or moving a dummy pad. During practice try to give 100% effort. You will make mistakes and probably more than others who have more experience than you, but that is ok, you will learn from your mistakes and get better and better and start surpassing some of your teammates because they don't have the love & passion to play like you do and they don't give that kind of effort as you do. YOUR COACHES will take note of your diligence and effort and in time make a place for you to play. Don't get discouraged if you don't get playing time as soon as you would like, just keep working hard during practice and in the off-season..it will pay off for you hopefully sooner than later. Each person is different but I've seen teammates who just kind of started participating and learning how to play and not get much playing time in that specific season, but the next season they really did well and got playing time because they had dedicated themselves in the offseason workouts and had a year of experience under their belt as they entered into seaon #2. Its important to learn your assignments and do what your coaches ask you to do. Don't get too caught up in trying to be the strongest and/or fastest player. I'm telling you from experience that your coach wants you to simply get to your assignment and execute it properly on a consistent basis. Definitely workout and try to be as strong, quick and fast as you can but in the end it is all about consistent execution for each play.

Work hard, practice hard and Have Fun!! These will be some of the best experiences in your life.

I hope this helps you. You can certainly do it. I wish you well!!

Philippians 4:13

Source(s): www.collegefootballauthority.com
  • Cu Tie

I highly encourage you to join your high school football team next season. It will still not (yet) be too late for you to start playing football.

A high school football tryout/practice is the ultimate test of strength and conditioning, consisting of very many lifting and running drills.

My best advice for you is to work hard and perform very well in practice every day. In addition, what you need to do this month (and every offseason) is eat healthy, exercise by doing weight lifting, and either jogging or going for a long run every day. If you do these things, you will get faster, stronger, and into better shape, which will greatly improve your chances of becoming a successful, top notch high school football player, who could go on to play college football in the future.

As for equipment, the only thing you really need to buy is a pair of cleats (and socks). Your school should provide you with the rest of your uniform equipment.

If you think you're ever going play then you should join ASAP. They probably have an 8th grade team.

You will need to buy whatever you're going to wear under your uniform and probably cleats. My school's boosters provided cleats but most don't.

Practices are for a couple hours after school. Once you get through the first couple weeks most of that time will be running plays and working on defense. You never lift during practice and most schools don't do a lot of hitting once games start.