Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 years ago

My son is being sued for a car accident. We live in Colorado so I don't know how the lawsuit process works. What can we do?

My son Was changing lanes and ended up being hit by the other driver. My son thought he had enough space but he didn't. He has minor injuries and the other driver was a little more injured than my son. The other guy is suing him for lost wages, injuries, and car repair. The lawyer sent a letter to my son saying he's being sued for 3 million dollars. My son doesn't have that kind of money. He's only a college student. He is insured through USAA since his father was in the military. How can we fight this? My son is stressing out about this. He doesn't have 3 million dollars. He's afraid of going bankrupt and being homeless for the rest of his life.

Best Answer

Your son already hired USAA to handle this for him. It's part of his insurance package. In fact, when he paid for the insurance, he agreed that USAA would handle this sort of stuff. So the thing to do, is listen to what the USAA lawyers tell him to do.

I expect that mostly, they will tell him not to talk to anybody about this, except to them. As for the 3 million dollars, that's just a fake number to start negotiations. USAA will counter-offer 30 cents and a wad of used chewing gum, and the discussions will proceed from there.

• TedEx

Let USAA worry about it

My first impression is that 3 million dollars is scare tactic. Nobody who has mild injuries lost comfort and wage for up to 3 million dollars... I'd be very interested to know exactly how many days of work this person missed, how much it has cost him in repair and what kind of injuries he claims to have. So, don't panick.

My second thought is: find a good lawyer.

• Maxi

ASKING AGAIN! Let his insurer deal with it

Google "subrogation," dude. And no, it has nothing to do with hair supplements for submariners.

The very first thing you should have done was contact your insurance carrier. You are paying them to deal with this. If your son was driving without insurance you need to hire a lawyer TODAY because you could lose everything you have.

you ever think of contacting your insurance company

My son was in accident under my insurance. The insurance is taking care of it.

Since under my insurance Andreas my car I also am being sued.

But not for the amount .

Most layers ask for sums that are over what they expect. Don't expect the other person to get 3 million dollars. They are probably over stating a claim hoping to get it.

I don't know how much the other person is hurt but hevor she is probably hoping for a quick get rich pay out.

They probably get much less. They have to'proove they are that hurt.

• What do your son's injuries matter, when he hit the other man? For that matter, how do you know his injuries?

If your son is on your insurance and was driving your car.

You're being sued.

Contact the insurance company first, then get a lawyer.

• Jim

Contact your insurance company and work completely through them. That is why you have insurance. Do not have any contact with the other man or his lawyer.