Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 3 years ago

Is it possible for a normal person to develop a serious mental illness like schizophrenia?

There is a local head case that floats throughout the town who fits all the descriptions of someone who is mentally disturbed: Non existent hygiene, unkempt beard and hair, writes all over himself, mutters weird incoherent sentences to himself, walks around wearing a name badge with the name "Frank Sinatra" engraved on it, openly urinates in full view of the public, etc.

There has been an ongoing rumor that I have heard from just about everyone that he was actually a professor and even a dean at our university some 20 years ago! That I am finding astonishing and somewhat hard to believe. If it is true--what causes someone to completely lose their mind to that extreme?

Favorite Answer

My son visited a child psychiatrist, and I recently learned that after being treated for cancer, he developed a serious mental illness, including what he called florid dellusions.

He managed to recover enough to write an article about his experience.

• Satan

Yes - some people are more susceptible than others