Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 years ago

My son got into a car crash a couple months ago and is being sued. We live in Iowa. What can we do?

My son came to a complete stop at a stop sign. He then proceeded to go and this car speeding out of nowhere hits him. My son had minor injuries and the other driver was a little more injured than my son. The other guy is suing him for lost wages, injuries, and car repair. The lawyer sent a letter to my son saying he's being sued for 30,000 dollars. My son doesn't have that kind of money. He's only a college student. He is insured through USAA since his father was in the military. How can we fight this?

• Maxi
    Best Answer

The insurance companies fight it out, not individuals

It appears that your son proceeded out into on coming traffic when the on coming traffic had the right of way. Cars that come "out of nowhere" virtually always means that one driver simply did not pay attention to on coming traffic. In court that statement will convict you because cars don't come out of no where (ever!). Rely on your insurance company for legal representation and have THEM respond to the money demand. I assume both vehicles in the accident were damaged very badly if not "totaled". That might have gone though all your coverage in which case you are vulnerable to costs beyond that amount but your insurance company should provide attorneys to negotiate it down. I know it's too late now but the car insurance minimums which most of us have are way too low but the cost of increasing them by up to around 400% is very low.

• WRG

Call USAA immediately they have a duty to both defend and pay the loss.

HI in the united kingdom we have car insurance which covers these sorts of issues.

Car insurance that covers third party claims is the minimum legal requirement in most countries. Provided you had third party liability insurance cover, you just notify the insurance company and send them all the claims and paperwork and they deal with the claim. You may have to pay some of it. For example, I would responsible for the first $250 of any claim on my insurance, but that is a lot better than £30,000.

• Tavy

You don't have to do anything, this is what his Insurance is for.

They do the negotiations you just supply the details.

• Bruce

The insurance company will represent your son. He doesn't need to do anything. They will take care of it.

In my state, you forfeit your right-of-way if you are speeding, but that is difficult to prove.

• DEBS

Speak with your insurance company. That is why they exist.

• ?

Contact your insurance agent and let them fight it out (I hope you already have re. the accident) It's been my experience that insurance companies don't like to pay, so they will viciously fight to prevent losing money.