Why do people who suffer from depression cut themselves?

I myself have never suffered from depression so I really don't know how it feels, but I can't help but be curious. I don't see cutting as a relief. I would think that inflicting pain on one's self would make depression worse because along with dealing with a swirl of emotions, you have to deal with physical pain. So basically you suffer from both mental and physical pain. Never a good combination. Why is physical pain considered relief to those who are depressed?

• Laura
    Favorite Answer

For me, it was a combination of a lot of things.

It was partially a control issue. I was suffering partially from my mother's actions, and her reactions to what I did were less than pleasant. It was a thought process similar to 'If anybody is going to make me feel this bad its gonna be me' type of thing.

It was also a coping mechanism, or a lack of coping mechanism. I didn't know what I could do to help me feel better, and I knew that cutting would help so I did it.

There was also the chemical side of it. Cutting or self harming releases endorphins and adrenaline. It triggers the flight or fight response, and you can become addicted to these chemicals your brain naturally produces. Because of this chemical reaction, I physically and mentally felt better after I cut, even though i knew there would be consequences.

I know that half of what happened was my fault, and I own up to that. As an adult, i can see how silly my actions were, but also how my mother overreacted and refused to act in different situations. Thankfully I have gotten over it, and i have been self harm free for so many years I have stopped keeping track.

It's a coping mechanism. They focus on the physical pain rather than the mental one. It's the same as drinking or smoking weed. They get addicted to it, it feels like a high.

Well rape victims like to shower longer than usual soon after the fact as if they are trying to remove something that is not physically there but mentally there. Might be the same in that respect.

Cause they don't exercise, and had learn no morals, no repect to their mothers, or no love. Depression is the answer of our brain sensors which will cause odd feelings when all messages to us are negative, dark, obscure, obsene.