Philosophy of Plato allegory of cave?

At the end of story, when the freed prisoner saw the sunlight bright world and he wanted to share the world with others prisoners, he went back inside the cave to free them but the prisoners thought he went mad and tried to kill him. They resist the truth. So what is the point of story if we can't use our... show more At the end of story, when the freed prisoner saw the sunlight bright world and he wanted to share the world with others prisoners, he went back inside the cave to free them but the prisoners thought he went mad and tried to kill him. They resist the truth.

So what is the point of story if we can't use our knowledge to free other minds? Is Plato saying that it's hopeless to free them or help them to see the truth.

Thank you.
Update: Thank you all for sharing your thoughts, I wish I could give you all best answer. You guys are not cave dwellers and that is best in you. You guys are amazing :)