Recommended Gaming Computer Setup?

As of right now I have a really bad computer in terms of graphics card and RAM. I am in the market for a better computer, something that could run games such as ARMA 3 and PUBG. I am not a major stickler on graphics quality (you get used to bad graphics when you have a computer that can only run games on minimal quality) I am not opposed to building a computer or buying an already assembled computer. My price range is about $600, can anyone recommend a good gaming computer setup (pre-built or list of parts)

My current computer is an all-in-one office desktop that is integrated in such a way where I can not replace individual parts (according to the manufacturers website)

Favorite Answer

Do not ever skimp on the power supply as this is the worst mistake you can make on a build and this will certainly come back to bite you in the a$$ down the line. There is no decent quality power supply below 550w. 80 plus bronze is decent but the only 2 Bronze power supplies worth buying are the Corsair CX550 and the EVGA B3 550w. Most graphics cards recommend a 500w power supply unless it's a budget card.

A lot can go wrong when you start shopping for the cheapest parts. People constantly flood these message boards on Yahoo Answers, Ton's Hardware, and pcpartpicker.com wondering why their $50 ASRock or Biostar board isn't working correctly. Brands like Asus, MSI, and Gigabyte are not problematic. You don't have to spend a lot on the board but be reasonable and prudent about it. The only time you need to buy an expensive board is if you need the connectivity features, plan to run graphics cards in SLI or Crossfire, or if you're going to overclock the CPU. Terms you might see like "gaming motherboard" are marketing terms. You can game just as well on a $70 motherboard as you would on a $600 motherboard.

If your budget is $600 then you are locked into building your own PC. A $600 prebuilt gaming PC will come with an outdated CPU like the AMD FX-4300 and an RX 460 graphics card. This would barely push games at 1080p. With a $600 budget you could easily afford an AMD Ryzen 3 1200 or 1300x CPU, a b350 motherboard, and 8gb of DDR4-2667 memory. The AMD Ryzen processors are more sensitive to higher speed memory than Intel processors.

Right now the only graphics cards available are the GTX 1050ti, GTX 1050, 3gb GTX 1060, GTX 1080, GTX 1080ti, RX 560, and RX 550. As far as budget cards go I don't recommend going below a GTX 1050ti. Normally I would recommend building a gaming PC with an RX 570 which is a good all-around card and is generally the best value, but these cards are out of stock due to the Cryptocurrency craze.

A few months ago the dual core Pentium 4560 and g4600 were the budget kings. You could get one for $60-70 if you looked hard enough. As of right now these are $83 at the minimum while the Ryzen 3 1200 is $110 and the Ryzen 3 slightly beats out the higher priced Core i3 CPU in gaming. Since Intel is NOT making their current 200 series Socket 1151 motherboards compatible with their 8th Generation Coffee Lake processors, I strongly recommend going with Ryzen or waiting for Intel's 8th Generation Coffee Lake processors to be released.

Intel processors have faster, usually 5% to 15%, single core performance but AMD Ryzen processors give you more cores for your money. Ryzen is a no brainer for Streaming, Virtual Machines, and pretty much all non-gaming tasks. For example, a Core i5-7600k and a Ryzen 5 1600x are pretty even in gaming but in non gaming tasks the Ryzen 5 1600x is much better. This pretty much puts the Intel Core i7-7700k as the only viable pick Intel has to offer, which would more than eat up half of your budget.

The biggest takeaway here is you're going to build a system that is going to last via upgrades. The AMD Ryzen system has a much better upgrade path than Intel Core ix. In the future you would be able to upgrade to an 8-core Ryzen 2 processor. A 550w power supply will cover almost every card you could possibly choose, seeing how a budget graphics card like the GTX 1050ti will go only 2 years before it needs to be upgraded.

Stay far, far away from any AMD FX CPU or A10, A8, A6 APU. These have zero upgrade path and are already obsolete.

Don't sweat the Windows 10 product key. You can find these cheap on sites like Bonanza and you can download the Windows 10 OS via the Windows 10 Installation Media creation tool.

Because you are on a tighter budget I recommend getting a 2tb WD Blue drive. You can buy a SSD at a later date. The OS loading times are still decent enough on a good 7200rpm drive. Look for a motherboard that supports M.2 NVMe SSD drives. Standard 2.5" SSD drives load the OS fast but M.2 NVMe drives load the OS in almost an Instant.

the $500 PC build at this source ==> http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-pc-builds... is what you want to shoot for. since toms doesn't include an operating system in their builds, and the article is near a month old, the price should be about where you want it.

Source(s): homebuilder

I haven't made a list in a while so I'm not familiar with the newest hardware, but I can give you a general guide.

I will recommend using PcPartPicker.com to find the cheapest prices and check for incompatibilities.

CPU: AMD's Ryzen CPUs outperform Intel's Kaby Lake CPUs by a longshot in multicore performance, but some games may not take advantage of all the cores on AMD's CPUs.

I would look at the Ryzen 5 1600 or Intel i5-7600

Motherboard: Get the cheapest thing you can find

ASUS, ASRock, Gigabyte, and MSI are brands I have used before, never used BioStar or EVGA (doesn't mean they're bad brands, I've just never used one of their motherboards before)

RAM: 8GB of 2400MHz RAM, if you chose a motherboard with 1 RAM slot, consider a single stick of 8GB RAM for upgradability later on (1x8GB or 2x4GB shouldn't have a noticeable performance impact)

Hard Drive: An 1TB Western Digital Blue should last a while, you can always add more HDDs later on.

Video Card/GPU: The Nvidia 1060 and AMD RX560 are both solid performers at 200$, but the RX560 seems to be out of stock.

If you can, opt for the 6GB version of the 1060 instead of the 3GB version

Case: get one that you like, ATX is a motherboard form factor, and smaller ATX motherboards will normally fit in cases designed for larger ATX sizes

In terms of size:

mATX < ATX < EATX

ITX is its own form factor, some cases will accept both ATX and ITX, but its best to buy an ITX case if you chose an ITX motherboard

Power Supply: Get the cheapest 80+ Bronze rated power supply you can find, for the above setup, even a 450w should supply enough power.

The AMD Kaveri range is a good option for gaming on a budget.... my newest PC runs the A8-7600 (quad core CPU with a RADEON R7 graphics card built into it)... there's also a A10-7xxx variations of the processor.

Graphics card.... that processor already had one built in, but I fitted one anyway.... went with an Asus NVidia GeForce GT730 with 2GB of GDDR5 memory, largely because I nicked it off my previous PC having only upgraded the thing a few months previously before something else on the old one screwed-up on me (and it's slightly more powerful than the one built into the processor).... you might want to consider something like the Asus NVidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti

https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/GTX750TIOC2...

The GT730 will run CS:GO at around 100-120fps

Memory... when the pre-built PC arrived from the seller on Amazon it came with 8GB of DDR3-1600 RAM, but I put them aside and swapped them out for a pair of Corsair Vengeance things, still 8GB but in DDR3-2133 (that's the highest the A8-7600 can go to in RAM spec, DDR3-2133, but you can install in higher amounts like 16GB of the stuff).

http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/vengeance-pro-series-...

Hard Drive.... the one I bought game with a 1TB Seagate thing for CCTV recording, but if I was building it myself I'd have gone for a Seagate Hybrid drive (SSHD) type thing that's part conventional hard drive, part SSD drive.

Works well enough after running a 2008-2010(ish) PC with an Intel E5300 Dual Core with 4GB of RAM + an NVidia 9400GT Graphics card before I upgraded to the GT730