Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (Soccer)English Football (Soccer) · 4 years ago

Is there actually a genuine reason why football fans dislike other clubs, except that the other clubs pose a threat to their own club?

Like I don't see anyone who dislikes Bournemouth or Stoke because they never challenge for the PL title. The most disliked clubs are always a top six club in the PL. But is there a reason for this other than actually being good?

Favorite Answer

Any one or more of the following reasons:

1. They hate the fact that other teams stand in their way of winning trophies. (Basically every football fan).

2. They hate the fact that other clubs have a more illustrious history than their own. (Spurs, Chelsea fans)

3. They hate the fact that other clubs have found success in recent years whereas their once-glamorous club hasn't won anything worthwhile in a long time. (Manchester United, Liverpool fans)

4. They hate the fact that other teams managed to acquire better players at lower prices. (Manchester City fans)

5. They hate the fact that other teams finish above them while spending much lower on transfers than their own club. (Manchester City, Manchester United fans)

5. They hate the fact that other clubs can spend big and buy players while their own club decides not to spend in spite of having money. (Arsenal fans)

6. They hate the fact that there are actually other teams competing in the Champions League, for they believe their team should be handed the trophy every single year no matter how they play. (Real Madrid fans)

7. They hate the fact that their biggest rival has almost the same credentials as their club (Rangers/Celtic, Boca Juniors/River Plate fans).

I could go on, but you see the point here.

It's taken far too seriously and it's not just sporting competition any more. In 2003 I remember Everton fans being all soppy over Rooney, and then as soon as he makes plans to move to Man United there was all this "Rooney scum" graffiti everywhere and I live near Liverpool. The lad was young then as well he must have been terrified of it.

In the days when people supported their local team there was plenty of reason to be partisan and dislike the other clubs.

• Ronnie

I hate every club that's not Chelsea

no second teams

no feeling sorry for the worthless little lower league pub teams after you annihilate them in the League cup

no congratulating other clubs on winning things

F#ck them all to death

I guess the hatred is more intense with your competition because they are preventing you from winning things sometimes, but I also hate the way smaller clubs fans get all big and mouthy if their team is doing well against yours

• Ryan

People have said things about Stoke, particularly because of the Tony Pulis brand of football. For some reason even after Mark Hughes took over people were still having a go at stoke as if Pulis was still manager. And for the record I am a huge fan of Pulis. But yeah for the most part the hatred comes from places of jealousy. Liverpool fans don't like Man United because United started to dominate English football, eventually becoming more successful than the pool. Also geographical location can come into which intensifies the rivalry. If you're one of them and I'm on of us we can't like each other. It seems to be a human thing. Smart humans move past it though.

• John

I suppose really only because the teams are good