Jesse
Jesse asked in SportsMartial Arts · 3 years ago

Can I train to become left hand dominant?

Is it possible to train to be a southpaw and be better with your left than with your right? With over and over repetition?

Favorite Answer

Yes, it is possible but takes time. Your brain has to 'rewire' and makes more receptors between the two brain hemispheres which takes time but it is definitely possible.

I used to be left handed as a kid but then had to learn how to write with my right hand. The teacher in school required it. I became right hand dominant until I got into martial arts. That teacher required to train everything on both sides. If you had trouble with your left side you did everything twice on your left side until it became comfortable. I can now switch back and forth and left and right make no difference. I do find though that a few things are easier on one side, either left or right than they are on the other for me, especially new things but it is usually just a matter of reps to get comfortable to do something on both sides.

Very few people are born with it (ambidextrous) but I think it can be trained too. People who have lost the use of their right hand/arm will learn how to use the left. There are stories of Japanese swordsmen who have learned how to use the sword with the other hand because of the advantage. Japanese swordsmanship was so codified that it was very predictable which way your opponent would hold the sword and therefore which way the attacks came. Break the code and your opponent will have to adjust to different angles. The reason for having everybody hold the sword on the same side made alignment on the battle field easier.

• Bon

You can train to be a southpaw, but unless you were born ambidextrous you will never be better than with your right. Left or right hand dominance has to do with the structure or development of the hemispheres of your brain. Since you were right handed, your left brain hemisphere (which controls the right hand) has undergone more development since the day you were born. By the time you are in your teens, the fine motor skills from that part of the brain would have reached a level that your other hemisphere (the right brain) can never surpass although it might come close.

Yes it can be done. One of the easiest ways to do this is doing your forms or kata on the opposite side. Most are taught and shown right handed/sided. So start doing them as a lefty.

The martial art school i go to does just that. We even practice techniques the same way. You work one side you should work the other side. Yes it is confusing but after a while your brain gets it.

I actually found out this way that i was actually a natural lefty. Even thou I went thru my life as a righty.

Since I been in this martial arts school I even do my work with both hands except for a few things.

I was a mechanic which made work real interesting when i was able to get into odd areas using the left hand where right handed people had problems.

And I am currently a construction electrician. Which means I use both hands using tools. But I can use both hands interchangeably which has an advantage when your up in a ceiling and it is a tight awkward position.

So try using your left for many things even eating. Yes your brain will get rewired eventually and makes life interesting learning. Since it actually uses the opposite side of the brain you are used to.

Rafael Nadal is one of the best tennis players right now. He's right handed, but taught himself to play tennis with left hand for the advantage it gives him. If he can be one of the world's top tennis player going full lefty, I think you can manage to box southpaw.