Is the characters from Alice in wonderland are at use your own risk when it already became public domain?

Best Answer

In addition to what Gigapie already stated, I would note that modern adaptations of Alice in Wonderland have their own copyright. Any new characters, lines of dialogue, visual depictions, etc. are still copyrighted if they were first introduced in these modern works and are not found in the original public domain texts and illustrations.

You can use any character you want from the original Alice in Wonderland books without first seeking anyone's permission and you can likewise freely copy the visual characterizations of Wonderland and its inhabitants drawn by John Tenniel because these are public domain works. What you cannot do is visually depict them in the same way as Disney did in its "Alice in Wonderland" movie. Likewise you can insert any lines of dialogue into a character's mouth that Lewis Carroll did in his books, but you cannot do the same if that line first appeared in the Disney movie.

Your question is gibberish so I'm not sure what you mean (and I'm not sure that you know what you mean either).

If this helps: Anything written by Lewis Carroll, and any pictures drawn by his illustrator John Tenniel, are in the public domain now, because both of them have been dead for much longer than 70 years.

I have no idea what you mean by "use at your own risk." There is no legal "risk" in using them.

• Jim2 years agoReport

I was just wondering anyways.