I am an aspiring Med student, what books would anybody recommend?

I am picking up Clinical Microbiology and such, but I'd also be interested in all sorts of books that doctors have written, and text books and such. What would anybody recommend?

• Marli
    Favorite Answer

I would go to the bookstores of several universities with medical schools / departments / colleges and see what is on the shelves. They are likely the textbooks that medical students will buy. Request course lists from the colleges and see what texts are required reading. Most public libraries do not carry books that specialized, so you may need to roam the libraries of the university where you will be earning your Bachelor of Science degree. It would not hurt to see what the public library has in your home area or in the area your university is located. The main branches of libraries in "university towns" sometimes have items that the branches in small towns don't carry. It may have an online subscription to JAMA or other magazines read by doctors.

Books written by Dr. Atul Gawande;

"How Doctors Think;"

"The Hot Zone;"

"The Yoga of Nutrition;"

"The Path of the Higher Self;"

"The Intern Blues;"

"Dr Mary's Monkey;"

"This Won't Hurt a Bit;"

"On Call: A Doctor's Days and Nights in Residency;"

"Intern: A Doctor's Initiation;"

"Becoming Dr. Q;"

"Gut;"

"Gone in a Heartbeat;"

"The White Coat Investor;"

"Concierge Medicine" by Dr. Steven D. Knope;

"The Doctor's Guide to Concierge Medicine."

I'd recommend that an aspiring Med student should really know how to use Google. And libraries.

Internal Surgery for Dummies they make books for everything today

I would recommend reading books that give you the strong foundation needed to understand more advanced medical textbooks.

You should thoroughly master introductory college/university level biology and chemistry first. After that, you'll have the basic knowledge necessary to understand textbooks on biochemistry, human anatomy and physiology, and other medical-related topics.

Have a look through the biology section of the Open Textbook Library. These open access textbooks are made legally available for free download with the consent of their authors. Using an open access textbook instead of a traditional one (whenever possible) is a good way to save money.

https://open.umn.edu/opentextbooks/SearchResults.a...

• Lomax

Gray's Anatomy would be a good place to start.