The Olympics are coming to Los Angeles, why is it not front page news and top stories like it was when Atlanta was awarded the games?

I was with my Mom when Atlanta was awarded the 1996 Olympic Games and the news was on about breaking news out of Iraq and Kuwait. Then the broadcaster said "we have more breaking news on this ABC News Special Report" and went on to announce Atlanta will be awarded the Olympics for 1996. It showed people... show more I was with my Mom when Atlanta was awarded the 1996 Olympic Games and the news was on about breaking news out of Iraq and Kuwait. Then the broadcaster said "we have more breaking news on this ABC News Special Report" and went on to announce Atlanta will be awarded the Olympics for 1996. It showed people celebrating in the streets of Atlanta.

Now this Los Angeles selection is just a brief mention in the news like a notable baseball game. Why is it not big news? I know it's eleven years away but Atlanta Olympics were still 6 years away when they were selected.
Update: Chris P---True but we had Dan Quayle as the number 2 man and were preparing for war in Iraq-Kuwait which was the other big story that day.