mellowbello88 asked in PetsDogs · 4 years ago

Flea & tick alternative for sensitive dogs?

The last time I dosed my dog with a liquid flea and tick treatment down his back his hair started to fall out and he started to have a bad reaction where he scratched himself silly for days. We gave him several baths and eventually it calmed down. This last time we used a collar treatment and the area around his neck at the collar site started to lose large chunks of hair and scab up due to his scratching. Does anyone know of an alternative or a lower dosage version? I was curious if the chewable would cause less of a reaction? Also, both previous treatments were highly reviewed brands.

• CDog
    Favorite Answer

Talk to your vet, of course, but I've been using oral NexGard for a year and half or so, and it works great for my dog. It's a different medication than the topicals. Good luck. I've seen horrifying pictures of what topicals can do to some dogs.

I've been using Comfortis for several years. It really works but takes a vets rx.

If none of the recommendations are good for your dog, try a powder. Test all recommended treatments before applying all over your dog.

Did you use a supermarket brand or did you get it from a Vets? If you got it from a Vets then go and tell them what happened. I know of one brand of flea treatment that is a tablet and is much handier than the liquid.

If you got it from a supermarket then no wonder your dogs hair fell out. These often aren't tested properly and quite commonly cause the problems you have described. If this is the case then go to the vet and get something decent. It will cost more but at least your dogs fur wont fall out and it's properly tested.

Topicals (those that go on the skin or are impregnated into collars) are one type. There are oral ones that can help the dog a lot more. Talk to your vet.

There are lots of treatments for killing and preventing fleas, they are full of nasty chemicals and they are expensive. I make up a solution for my dogs which prevents fleas, although it is also said to kill fleas I have no experience of this because my dogs have never had fleas. Also ticks die on arrival. .

Use a few drops of Citricidal and essential oils of Citronella, Tea Tree and Lavender. Add this to half a pint of vinegar and sponge a small amount onto your dog’s coat. I use this every week.

The ingredients for the treatment will last for several years.

• J C

Did the vet prescribe the flea and tick treatments you used? The best - and safest - products are those your vet sells. Schedule an appointment, write down what you used and what happened, and she/he can make a better suggestion. "Highly reviewed brands" mean nothing - often the reviews are faked, and great things are posted for crappy products. And some people DO have success with crappy brands.

• Brooky

In Australia, we use tablets (1 chewable tablet per month or 3 months depending on brand) for flea and tick prevention and every dog seems to tolerate them well with no side effects. Where I live in Queensland, deadly paralysis ticks used to be a huge problem but the new treatments have completely removed the risk. I'm sure something similar will be available wherever you live - ask your vet.