Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 years ago

Why isn't the Attorney General of the United States required to have a law degree?

Update:

I mean he or she is the ATTORNEY General.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Clive
    Lv 7
    2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Because it's a political post, not a legal one. Plus the original statute that set up the post, the Judiciary Act 1789, only said that the holder should be "learned in the law" - now what does that mean? In practice, yes, the President always does appoint a qualified lawyer with a JD, but you're right, it's not actually required by law. And that works because the Attorney General, in reality, doesn't actually appear in court.

The job includes handling federal prosecutions, and you'd expect to have a qualified lawyer for that, but of course there are plenty of other qualified lawyers around to do it on behalf of the Attorney General.

• 2 years ago

Because the position is filled by political appointment and politicians want to put their friends in the position without the limitation of that person having a law degree (or be qualified in any way). Historically presidents have put qualified people in appointed positions. Trump is now putting people in appointed positions with no qualifications, education, or background in those positions.

• WRG
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

He simply isn't but our current AG did receive one. Sessions attended the University of Alabama School of Law and graduated with a J.D. degree in 1973.

I doubt there has, in modern times, ever been one that didn't have one.

Before the first decades of the 20th century many lawyers learned the trade by working for a judge or lawyer. I was known as "reading the law."

• 2 years ago

Hey Jessica, read much? The question was why the A.G. is not REQUIRED to have a law degree.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 years ago

Jeff Sessions who is the current attorney general, has a juris doctor from alabama school of law... so he does have a law degree? ALL of the past attonrey generals have JD's so i dont know what youre saying lol.

• Tiger2 years agoReport

Clive, thank you for that. Apparently Jessica has a reading comprehension problem.

• Joe C
    Lv 5
    2 years ago

Because its in the title,,,Attorney,,,,,or can't you read what you wrote

• Tiger2 years agoReport

No dumb ***. Just because it's in the title doesn't mean he/she has a LAW DEGREE.

• 2 years ago

make sure you're serious about the job

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.