PhD in Computer Science and Can't Even Get a Junior Developer Job?

I have about 10+ years of programming experience, just finished my PhD in CS, research interests in quantum computing and quantum cryptography as well as cryptocurrency and blockchain application development. Yet I can't even get an email back about a junior development position. I've gotten 0 call backs or 0 emails for over 100 job applications I've submitted in the past month. My resume has been reviewed by a hiring agency and they said it looks good and they even try to help me find a job and I've never heard back from them once after they reviewed my resume. I call them and ask if they had any job leads, and they say that no one is interested in my resume. Any help is appreciated. I thought there was a shortage of skilled labor in the tech field, I guess not...

Favorite Answer

You should ask this on http://www.quora.com many people with advanced degrees talk about their careers there. You should also use a search engine "site:quora.com phd cs employment' to see if previous questions have lots of relevance to your question.

What i think though, is that your non academic record has a glitch. You might be named after someone with bad credit or a search engine first page full of things people prefer to avoid. Talk to another recruiter, tell them a glitch is your concern, ask them to identify the glitch. Also what country are you writing from? In the USA a "hiring agency" is called a temporary agency or a recruiter. If you are at a developing country, there might not be a glitch.

Also consider an internship. If you have to get a software test job, and then apply for jobs that fit your skill set while you are currently employed.

Actually, your question just baffles me. You would have to hide to be unemployed here with a CS degree.

most companies have pay scales you would be high up that system so would not be eligible for a lower pay scale job

• Stoo

You're aiming far too low and probably going about this the wrong way. No one's going to hire your as a junior developer - the only question that your resume is bringing up is "why would this person want this job?" Hiring overqualified people just leads to frustration. Focus your attention on more relevant jobs and higher level ones. Get out there and share your knowledge - resumes and cold dropping resumes is the worst way to get a job. It's not what you know, it's who you know - and who knows you.