Who was the last great President from Republican and Democratic parties respectively ?

Favorite Answer

If one examines the contexts of conditions at the time they were elected, then clearly President Bill Clinton, President Obama, and the Great Depression-fixing four-times elected FDR could be considered the greatest. The "West Wing" inspiring, budget-balancing, jobs-creating, $362 surplus building, GOP-mistreated Bill Clinton was a truly great President when one remembers the Reagan/Bush-Bush/Quayle caused Savings and Loan collapse due to Reagan-GOP deregulation that removed all oversight, all consumer protections, and all systems of checks and balances---and so greed ran rampant throughout the savings and loan industry. To understand what Bill Clinton inherited after the disaster of Reagan abruptly firing PATCO (the Air Traffic Controllers union) and thereby declaring all out war on full-time workers in this country---especially workers with benefits like paid vacations, vested (employer-contributing) retirement plans (that corporate raiders LOVED after PATCOs firing), overtime pay, or employer-provided health car---I recommend the book by Donald Bartlett and James Steele (which I sent to candidate Bill Clinton in 1991), "America: What Went Wrong?" Also see: The Clinton Presidency: Key Accomplishments" (and prepare to be amazed), as well as the 2004 Larry Flynt book, "Sex, Lies & Politics: The Naked Truth."

The worst possible messes in U.S. history were waiting to greet President Barack Obama, our nation's first man-of-color hugely popular Hawaii-born President, to include the worst depression since the Great Depression (also GOP-caused due to deregulation and always-fail "trickle-down" corporate-colluding bad economic policies), a 2008 plunging Dow Jones (6,900), 800,000 job losses each month, the deregulation-caused housing and credit markets' collapse from 2005 through 2009 that cost millions of Americans their homes (due to subprime lending), the nearly fatal financial system MELTDOWN 2007-2009 (see PBS: "Frontline: Inside the Meltdown") that required a Bush/Cheney/Fed $800 BILLION taxpayer-funded deficit-exploding BAILOUT, but also a MELTDOWN that bankrupted most of Europe (our trading partners we needed to get our recovery going). If you look up recovery.gov and maybe read Michael Grunwald (2012), "The New New Deal: The Hidden Story of Change in the Obama Era" you might get an inkling of how wise our recession-reversing, auto-industry-rescuing, banks-Wall-Street-reregulating, insurers-reforming, manufacturing-base-rebuilding (recovery.gov) with a focus on earth-friendly Green Energies initiatives, revenues-generating, jobs-creating, economy-growing, GOP-viciousness-transcending (Draper, 2012)---never once responding in kind, borders-securing (NET ZERO on illegal immigration since 2012), Operation Coyote implementing (to mass-arrest human traffickers at our southern border), miracles-working President Obama is going to be shown to be our absolute best President---no scandals, excellent programs and policies, deficit-slashing from the GOP's 10.6% of GDP to more than one half (5.2% of GDP) by the end of his first term---we are blessed as a nation to have had President Obama in our White House for eight productive and nation-saving years!

On the GOP side, I lean a little bit toward Dwight D. Eisenhower, in part for the socialization of our nation's highway system, and also because President Eisenhower took Fred Trump to task over theft from the Eisenhower HUD program that was supposed to benefit war veterans by helping these veterans get into affordable homes. Eisenhower was furious to learn that Fred Trump, Donald Trump's slumlord mob-tied father, had stolen more than $5 million from the HUD program, so he summoned the elder Trump to testify before Congress and to be held accountable. The way Fred Trump testified at the Congressional hearing might explain why Donald Trump has no social conscience and does not feel remorse for his corrupt ways over the years: "I did not steal the [more than $5 million] HUD money," said Fred Trump, "because the money is in my account. I did not use the money, so it is not actually stolen" (or words to this effect). I respect Eisenhower for his fury over this outrageous criminality on Trump's part. Maybe there will be some of the same fury on behalf of the United States' sovereignty by Congressional Republicans who do not seem concerned enough about the COLLUSION with Russia or the CYBER WARFARE committed by Russia that undermines our nation's strength and credibility world wide.

Republican? Lincoln Democrat, FDR

of republicanism its Ronald Reagan and then trump, of democrat if you are talking progressives it FDR.

• Marduk

Eisenhower, Obama.

Reagan

JFK was the last democrat to stand up FOR our military even though he was a mediocre president

• You are full of something brown, perhaps prunes. Both our budget-balancing Bill Clinton and the team of Michelle and Barack Obama plus Jill and Joe Biden were WONDERFUL for us veterans and for helping war heroes find work upon coming home. The VA medical system totally REVAMPED!

that is tough because what one thinks is great, another one does not, and even history gets tweaked in hindsight. I would do some internet reading on all of them and make up your own mind. People used to think for example, Andy Jackson was great, but more recent analysis has toned that down quite a bit.

• Lv 7
      3 years agoReport

Jackson was an evil a$$hat that killed many Native American in the trail of tears and actually went against the wishes of Congress in doing so. Just going against Congress would get a president impeached now. He did it to kill Native Americans.

• ?

From the Democrats, Obama.

From the Republicans, Theodore Roosevelt.

Eisenhower and Kennedy.

The last pretty good presidents were Reagan and Bill Clinton.

Obama and George HW were average. George W and Carter were bad. Trump is turning out to be incompetent, but to be fair judging Trump before 1 year is up, is not always prudent. In this case, he is doing so bad I think it is prudent, but I acknowledge I might be wrong.

I am a moderate libertarian.

The oddest thing is that I think the economy and jobs will improve with Trump as president. Indeed, I am of the opinion that we would be better off electing monkeys to the office of the President and Congress. They will do nothing but have poo flinging fights and it will be more entertaining than most shows on TV. The government won't be able to "service" us and it will be glorious.

Think about it. Every single serious problem in the economy, I can trace to some bill that Congress passed.

This is finally going to be a test of my libertarian views. If the economy goes up under Trump, then I don't think any liberal can ever again tell me my views are wrong. If they did, they would have to say Trump is the cause of the increase and thus not incompetent.

If the economy goes down because of Trump, I may have to reexamine my views.

Edit:

You ahve got to love Armchair goddess asinine view of history.

FDR's depression fixing??? We didn't get out of the Depression until WW2. CLEARLY it was not FDR policies that got us out of the Depression. Bill Clinton signed one of the two bills that caused the housing market debacle. The Obama recovery was the slowest recovery since the Great Depression.

If you really look through her liberal glasses, you are also going to see unicorns running on rainbows. Does not make that true.

Bill Clinton was pretty good because he did work with the Repubs that held Congress to balance the budget. Oh and the repubs also put up the bill that led to the housing market debacle, so its not like Repubs are blameless.

Once again, a rational view of history shows that both parties have problems.

Oh and BTW, Obama was one of the Senators that signed off on the bill that caused the Housing market Debacle. That was before Bush was President. So the "goddess" can stop pretending Obama was just given this mess from Bush. That is not what happened.

Further, I would LOVE it if the liberals would SMACK Bernie for saying we should give house loans to poor people recently. Suggesting it once is forgivable and even understandable. Being dumb enough to suggest it after the market collapse..... DERP DERP DERP. Nope. the ultra-liberals are stupid enough to nod their bobble heads in agreement.

• Lv 7
      3 years agoReport

Now we can discuss if the conservative view is better or worse than the liberal view, and in my opinion it depends on which view, but it is rather hard to argue that both Clinton and Reagan were considered good presidents by most historians and people.

Republican: Lincoln (who would be a Democrat today)

Democratic: FDR