How to get out of a sleep over?

So I have a friend and I invited her to stay the night cuz she is cool and nice. Usually I hate sleepovers, but this friend is nice. She stayed the night at my house and she pretty much talked about having depression for majority of the time. It just like board me and made me feel bad. I didn't know this person was negative as we usually only speak in school. I've been to her house one time for a party and I just get a weird vibe from her house. Anyhow, she invited me to stay the night and I really do not want to. I refuse the offer yesterday, but she insisted on tonight and I just said yes because I would get bogged for it anyhow for the rest the summer. I don't know her house is just sort of creepy and outside of school she's a different person . What should I do?

Favorite Answer

If you don't want to go then don't. You shouldn't force yourself. It also doesn't sound like you actually want to be her friend. if that's the case, you definitely should not go because she might think you two are getting closer. Like Jane said, if you want to be nice about it just say you're sick or that your parents said no (you could just as easily explain to your parents then they'll most likely tell you you don't have to go). It helps when the adults have your back. Don't be pressured to do anything you don't want to do. It'll lead to bigger problems later.

Maybe do the whole, "my parents don't like me having sleepovers" excuse.

Or you can say you don't feel good (either emotionally or physically) to get out of the situation.

I know from experience that it's hard to deal with people who constantly bring you down, especially when you aren't prepared to deal with things like that. Maybe say you are uncomfortable when talking about depression or bringing the mood down because of past experience and she might drop the subject if you can't get out of it.

And if this person is really difficult to avoid and is dragging on you emotionally try to separate yourself from them casually until they get the hint.

Always put your emotional state before others, if someone is making you depressed and uncomfortable try to drop connections with them.

• Bobbin

Definitely tell your mother what's going on.

Say that you're sick

If you refuse, you can be sure you will most likely not get any more invites from her, and she may spread the news of your negativity to others.