Does anybody knows what this musical movie hairspray is about ?

I know that is one from 1988 and a remake from 2007

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It's about 'the olden days', like so many movies. In the1940s there was a whole wave of movies about the 1890s/1900s. There were people alive then who remembered those times with nostalgia. In the 70s and 80s there was a wave of movies about the Depression. Then Hairspray was a movie about the pop music TV scene in the 1950s and early 60s. Before things got all complicated. 8^)

There was a VERY popular program in those days called American Bandstand, hosted by Dick Clark. Kids would rush home from school to watch it in the mid-afternoon. It was really no more than a radio program with video of teenaged kids dancing, but every day they had a big star who would drop by for a brief, superficial interview and to lip-synch their latest big hit. If you were a teen than and you LOVED Dion and the Belmonts, or Dell Shanon, or Bobby Vinton, that was your chance to see what they looked like.

The program was done in Philadelphia and the kids were all just local kids who stood in line every day to be on the program as sort of 'background' to the records. If you watched all the time you'd see a lot of kids over and over. They got to be a sort of clique.

The first version of Hairspray was done by John Waters, who made intentionally cynical comedies about the American condition. His films were very funny but not the kind you'd take your grandparents to. It was really about the sleazy side of 1950s TV rock music. It was about a girl who wanted to be on the program but the producers didn't want her to be on because she was too fat for their image. The movie came and went, and then a few years later someone decided to write a script for a Broadway-type musical, which was also popular. So they did a movie of -that-. It's smoother, more general-audience, but just as funny.

(This happens a lot! 'Auntie Mame' was originally a semi-autobiographical novel, then a straight non-musical play that did very well, then a movie with Rosalind Russell that has become a classic, then a musical play on Broadway, then another movie of the musical play. The musical version of the movie was HORRIBLE because the property was acquired by Lucille Ball who insisted on doing all her own singing, but she had a voice like a foghorn. The Ros Russell version is in the top 100 movies of all time.)

Younger people who don't remember the 1950s don't really understand Hairspray, just as people born in the 50s don't understand movies like Alexander's Ragtime Band or Yankee Doodle Dandy or Eddie Foy and the Seven Little Foys. The movies are deliberately designed to appeal to people who remember the time they're making fun of.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

UUUMMM HAIR SPRAY?LOL

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

boring. from the songs to the story line.

but my sisters liked it. so... you may like it too. i cant remember what its about (i just know i didnt like it). Rikki Lake is in the original.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.