How to write lyrics that do not sound awkward/weird?

Everytime i write my lyrics i feel like my lyrics have a awkwardly funny sound that i don't intend to make. I need help

i am a songwriter and an upcoming musician. Not yet recorded any songs.

Favorite Answer

You seem to want to force words into an idea. The words should really let the idea become its own entity. Not all songs have to rhyme, or be exactly the finished product you intended to start with.

Relax, journal all your ideas, and make your creative world your own.

How to Build a Song/Write a Lyrics Poem From Scratch

1. What to write about

Think of something or someone that inspires you

Something or someone that bothers you

Something or someone that changed your life

A person you admire

A childhood or travel memory

A small incident in a moment that reversed itself in your life

Any subject it seems no one talks about

2. How to write it

Pick a melody in your head or a catch phrase that you like and just flesh it out.

You can change any song idea after getting stuck for some other new angle or different idea. Don't stay stuck long. Use your journal. Catch ideas that don't yet fit for later.

Use a rhyming dictionary, thesarus (directory of concepts!) or some creativity exercise.

Oh yeah....keep doing it. Someone once said "there's no such thing as a genius, just someone who practiced 100,000 times".

3. Format for familiarity

People often write lyrics as poetry, but fight the usual rhyming and formatting most

popular songs use. It's your choice, but it also depends heavily on whether your target

audience is going to "get" your work if you get away from a standard AABA format with

a solid chorus and hook, or whether the object is to try new creative or innovative ideas.

In the end, you decide how and what to tell the world. Personally, I believe in choruses,

familiar rock/country/blues formats and whatever gets your audience to sing along.

Usually, less is more and repeating a key line once or twice makes a point stand out.

4. Standing on the shoulders of giants

Someone somewhere blew you away with a song or two. What was it about

that song that you liked? Would you like to try and make a song that

blows people away like that too?

Emulate your idols without copying, or be inspired by a song you just

heard on the radio.

Believe in what you're doing. The only thing the greats (Dylan, Lennon,

etc.) had in common was the belief that they could change the world by

doing what they did. They were right.

5. Exhibit A

A HANDFUL OF WATER

I tried to hold a handful of water

Tried to save it; I was gentle and sure

But it just slipped right through my hand

In a way I still can’t understand

I tried so hard to keep it here

My hands are soaking wet, but there’s nothing there

Life isn’t fair when holding a handful of water

Like the water, she nurtures my health

Refreshing and cool, restoring myself

So smooth and clear, so natural and pure,

Now she’s gone and I can’t find her anymore

I tried so hard to keep her here

BRIDGE

Since you ran out, I don’t think I can survive

You wash the world away; you make me feel alive

I thirst to touch you, like the Earth thirsts for rain

I’ll keep cryin’, I’ll keep tryin’, until I hold you again

INSTRUMENTAL BRIDGE

I tried to hold a handful of water

Tried to save it; I was gentle and sure

In a way I still can’t understand

I tried so hard to keep her here

My hands are soaking wet, from the fall of my tears

Love isn’t fair, like holding a handful of water

Trying to love you is like holding a handful of water

Laughing Dolphin Music

It is always easier it seems to me to write all the music before the lyrics. Then once you know what you want to write about start with simple words and phrases to paint a picture of whatever it is your writing about. Listen to the song and use a thesaurus to use words that fit with the music better while keeping the meaning you want at the same time. You can achieve a different feel just buy looking up synonyms to words that don't flow with the music how you hoped they would. It can still be challenging of course but what would be the point if it were a cake-walk in the park.

You might be trying too hard to fit a "square peg" into a "round hole" in the sense that you are not letting the songs sort of write themselves. To tap into your lyrical you, start with doing a "word horde" in a blank notebook: Write down a single word or phrase that comes into your mind in the middle of a blank page, and then let the meaning(s) of that initial thought unfold inside your heart and mind until you start getting inspiration for a related word (write it somewhere on the page), and keep on doing this, marking the words that stand out in your mind with some sort of symbol (like an asterisk) until you get inspired by a pattern or a stream of consciousness.

As a poet, I can tell you that this method works better than trying to force rhyming or stanzas. It might even help if you picture yourself playing the music in front of an imaginary audience and then close your eyes to remember some of the words you emphasized in your "word horde", connecting your goals as an "upcoming musician" with your poetic self.