Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

John asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 4 years ago

Can I go to the US on a travel visa and join the military?

I want to move and live US, but after moving I would join the USMC, since that would fit me the best and I also want to serve. Im 25 years old and currently serving in the Hungarian army, will turn 26 in november, so I have limited time since the age limit is 27-28 to join if Im correct.

Heres where the real problems start, I have no sponsor to get a green card through so I can move to the US. I have enough money to get my life started in America I just have no way of doing so. I served 1 year so far, I have 2 years left, but Im breaking contract in the fall or in the winter.

I have visited the websites of the USMC, USMC Recruiting, USCIS, and theres no way to contact them through email because you need a valid US address to submit an online form.

I love the US and want to live there permanently, I see America as my home that Ive never been to, currently this is the only obstacle in my way. My phisique is good, I speak english fluently, and I have enough money to do this.

I just have nobody to get the ball rolling in the immigration process. You have no idea how frustrating this is. Any ideas? Can you point me to anybody who can help?

I can do everything else on my own, but immigration seems impossible without somebody from the US filing a petition to get the process started.

In case I have no sponsor, would they let me join if I went to the US on a travel visa and walked into a recruiting office?

Do you know anybody who has done this?


Or could you ask a recruiter in the US about this?

Edit - No I will not live my life in Hungary. Europe and the US are not just different continents, theyre different planets. At this point Im even willing to pay somebody to get me into the US legitimately, I can almost guarantee I wouldnt be the only person in the world who got into the US like this.

9 Answers

  • 4 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    That is something best asked at the closest U.S. consulate office in your country. There may be a way, but they would know the procedures, or if it is even still allowed.

    In the past foreign nationals were allowed to join the U.S. military. It was common for Filipinos to join the U.S. Navy. They would enlist through the U.S. Naval Base in the Philippines, serve their 20 years and retire to the Philippines after. Many people from other countries have enlisted in the U.S. military rather than their own country's military because the U.S. had better opportunities. (My dad came from Canada during WW-II to enlist in the U.S. Army Air Corps to fly, as they needed more pilots and had better equipment.) After his time in service, he was allowed to become a U.S. citizen. Be advised that foreign nationals in the U.S. military are not allowed in some positions and are ineligible for security clearances.

    Your last comment about paying someone to bring you in is something that you had best NEVER mention to a U.S. official. There is no LEGAL way that that can be done, as even marriage for "pay" is a crime and you can't buy your way into any permanent residence class in this country.

    Entering on a tourist visa would cause you problems if you used it as a way to try to join the U.S. military. A tourist Visa becomes void and automatically cancelled (which can result in immediate deportation and a criminal record) if you attempt to work, or seek employment. (enlisting is applying for a job and thus falls into the "work" classification)

  • 4 years ago


  • NWIP
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

    No you cannot, you must be a permanent resident which requires you to be sponsored already for at least 2 years in the US.

  • 4 years ago

    no you must be a legal resident to enlist.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

    No. More to the point, you cannot move to the U.S. on a travel visa. And you cannot use a travel visa at all if you want to live in the U.S. permanently. A person with only a travel visa will be allowed into the U.S. only if the U.S. government is satisfied that the person intends to visit the U.S. and then leave, without staying permanently or working.

  • JetDoc
    Lv 7
    4 years ago


  • ?
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

    There is no way that you are going to accomplish your goal of joining the US military unless you apply for the "Green Card Lottery". You will probably age out for the military before then.

  • Mrsjvb
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

    no. only Legal Permanent residents with a 10 year Green card or US citizens may enlist

  • 4 years ago


Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.