Anonymous

Did I make the right decision to let go of a USC acceptance ($72,273 per year) to attend Cal Poly Pomona?

I got accepted into both schools for transfer admissions. USC did not offer me any financial aid so I was forced to withdraw my seat and they were asking a minimum of $53,448 for a yearly tuition. They raised the 2017-2018 academic year tuition and now the average cost to go there is $72,273 per year. In addition they were asking me $350 for their mandatory tour and an additional $741 for adminsitrative

fees per semester. After talking this to my dad who is the main sponsor, we had to let go of USC because of the insanely expensive bill. USC charges the highest tuition, fees and dorm expenses out of all the California private universities.

My intended major was Biology and Cal Poly Pomona offered me a seat in their microbiology concentration.

Favorite Answer

Many, many, many people turn down one school and go to another for financial reasons. Cal Poly Pomona is a good school, and although it would have been great if you had gone to USC, it really wasn't financially possible.

You can use some of the savings you have by going to Cal Poly Pomona to do amazing things while you're at school. You could do an internship, do a national student exchange, do a summer program at another school, all sorts of stuff.

• Robyn

I think you definitely made the right decision. You really don't want to be in debt from your college when you're sending your kids to college.

I don't think we can make that call for you--you did what was right for you; it was a lot of money that you don't have. It makes no sense to get deep into debt for a undergrad degree unless it is extremely compelling.