Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 3 years ago

Why did so many soldiers lose their lives in war back then?

I was pretty bored on Memorial Day so I decided to do something I've never done before. I took a walk to the Arlington Cemetery. As I was walking through it literally brought tears to my eyes. Seeing family members lying in the grass by tombstones, crying, some even asleep right there. It was heart wrenching and hard for me to watch, and the vastness of the casualties was baffling. All of those men that lost their lives in defense of this country man it was so sad. Why did so many people lose their lives? Was it that bad? Wow man

Favorite Answer

Some were drafted, some enlisted.

Part of living in the U.S.

All gave some, some GAVE ALL.

I RESPECT ALL that served.

My 27 year old son served over 7 years, he came back alive.

Some of his friends DIDN'T.

Some that served with him DIDN'T survive Civilian life.

War is horrible.

Rest in PEACE, ALL YINZ!

Source:

Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham Sing "Landslide" Live - YouTube

Video for landslide buckingham nicks▶ 4:38

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sQ7cuYgjzw

Youtube thumbnail

Mar 3, 2010 - Uploaded by American Express

Fleetwood Mac's Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham perform "Landslide" live on stage. Subscribe to ...

If you KNOW their names, REMEMBER them.

If Not, honor THEM.

source:

Deep Purple - Perfect Strangers - YouTube

Video for pERFECT Strangers original video▶ 5:25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ_kez7WVUU

Youtube thumbnail

Jun 16, 2009 - Uploaded by DeepPurpleVEVO

Music video by Deep Purple performing Perfect Strangers. (C) 1984 UMG Recordings, Inc.

Nobody dies for God, country, or the red, white and blue. Soldiers fight and die for each other. It's that simple and that cruel. I've linked to a story by a reporter named Ernie Pyle. It's a great story so why don't you read it. Pyle won a Pulitzer Prize for writing it. Ernie Pyle wrote columns about soldiers. Not the glossy booted, fresh faced, flag wavers, but the guys who ate lousy food, slept in the mud, and risked everything to get to the top of unnamed hills in the middle of no where. When you get done reading "The Death of Captain Waskow," go to Wikipedia and look up Ernie Pyle. He died writing about the soldiers he loved.

http://mediaschool.indiana.edu/erniepyle/1944/01/1...

Their devotion is very glorious :)

From an essay by Marine general Smedley K Butler, winner of two Medals of Honor:

' WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives.

A racket is best described, I believe, as something that is not what it seems to the majority of the people. Only a small "inside" group knows what it is about. It is conducted for the benefit of the very few, at the expense of the very many. Out of war a few people make huge fortunes.

In [World War I] a mere handful garnered the profits of the conflict. At least 21,000 new millionaires and billionaires were made in the United States during the World War. That many admitted their huge blood gains in their income tax returns. How many other war millionaires falsified their tax returns no one knows.

How many of these war millionaires shouldered a rifle? How many of them dug a trench? How many of them knew what it meant to go hungry in a rat-infested dug-out? How many of them spent sleepless, frightened nights, ducking shells and shrapnel and machine gun bullets? How many of them parried a bayonet thrust of an enemy? How many of them were wounded or killed in battle? '

Freedom isn't "free"....

Look at the intensity of the fighting and belligerents involved. Battlefield Medicine has come along way.

Lack of a nuclear threat and modern weapons. The problem is that if some nut decides to push the button in NK or Iran then tens of millions will die all because Obama hates the USA.