Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 3 years ago

How many of you have parents who lived through the Great Depression as adults?

My dad was born in 1916. By the time he graduated from school, we were at the lowest depths of the Great Depression, 1933. They didn't have kindergarten in those days, your mother and/or grandmothers got you ready for school. My mother was born in 1920, in a more affluent area, They had kindergarten. Her mother worked part time starting in 1925, which was unusual at the time. My mother's family was middle class. My father's not.

The Depression was somewhat different for my mother. My dad always worked. He told me in spite of the high unemployment rate, an able bodied man could find a job. Paid very poorly, even for the time, 14-15 cents per hour for hard labor. Maybe 16. 10-12 hours a day, 6 days per week.You had no other choice if you wanted to eat, maybe have a roof over your head.

Then came WPA, Paid around 40 cents per hour, make work jobs they called them. The pay was really good. Created a lot of debt for the country. Then 1938 came the 25 cent minimum wage job for everyone. Sounded really good? All of the sudden, jobs started going away. The Depression wasn't getting better, it was getting worse. This is when my parents met and got married. Had me in 1940. It was obvious to my dad that we'd get dragged into WW2 and this would be the only job. 5 year enlistment. By the time Pearl Harbor happened, a PFC and a crew member of a 155mm Long Tom cannon. Served the entire war. Joined the reserves. As a SGT. Was reactivated for Korea as a SSG. I can remember him going away.

Update:

Still firing Long Toms, later they fired 8" howitzers.

Retired in 1960 from the NY Army National Guard. At age 44, with most experience shooting, he totally changed careers and was a house painter until he was 70.

Worked hard all his life. Never asked for nothing. Never complained. Had the self respect money can't buy.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Both of my parents lived through the Great Depression. My dad served in WWII. They were honest, tough, hard working people.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

Mine did, barely. They became young adults during that time, and went off to war.

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

My dad lost his father in 1930, when my dad was 17, the oldest of five boys and one girl. He became the man of the house at that point and assisted in raising the young ones, even to the point of spanking them. He and my mom put off marriage for several years because my dad was living on the minimum possible out of his paycheck and sending as much money home as possible. They finally married in 1942.

He had three boys, played thousands of hours of golf and bridge and was married to my mom for 55 years. I was pretty dang fortunate to have had the parents I did.

Thanks for stimulating some good, good memories.

• Dick
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

My parents were born during WWI. I was born in 1936. My father didn't have a formal education, but many of his friends were MDs and PHDs. They treated him as an equal. He had a responsible, but low paying job at our local electric utility. We did live through the depression. And WWI. And Korea. And so on. I worked from the time I was 8. I'm retired now.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

My mother was taking college prep courses in high school when the Depression began. She took an extra year of business courses, and went to work in a corporate office as a typist and secretary for the princely sum of $13 a week. She lived at home with her folks.

She and my father met in about 1933, but couldn't afford to get married until about 1937. During World War II he was doing essential war work in his technical specialty. His salary was pretty low too.

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

My parents are boomers. They made a big boom boom on America. And they gave me a great depression.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.