promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Best Caliber for home defense and concealed carry, 9mm or 45 acp?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 years ago
    Favorite Answer

9mm.

Many people like the .45 acp and I have enjoyed shooting one. But I can't think of any situation for defense or attack, in war or in peace, where it would be the best choice.

If you were out in grisly bear country, a .45 would be better for emergency protection than a 9mm, but it would still not be the best choice.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Robin
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

12 everytime

• 3 years ago

I can not stress enough how much this is a personal decision. What gun do YOU prefer? I like the .45, my wife prefers the 9mm, my niece loves her .380, my 11 year old daughter likes the .45, my brother prefers a 9mm, my best friend likes his .41, my cousin prefers his .38 special revolver. Each feel comfortable and confident shooting that particular gun vs. others they have or have experience with. Anything from a .380 to a .45 will get the job done.

• Viper
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

For ME personally 12 ga. for home security,9mm for cc.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 years ago

9mm

• L.N.
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

I love .45's but the 9mm fills a dual purpose role much better. The 9mm can be smaller, lighter, can hold more rounds and can be loaded to velocities that make it ballistically close to the .45.

• Bob
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

glock 40 10mm

• 3 years ago

9mm for CHL, 45 for Home. Decide what is more important to you.

Choice of ammo type is going to matter more. Hollow Points are good for defense and are what you should be loading when you adjust your sights, or are carrying in public. FMJ is only good for target shooting.

• Lv 4
      3 years agoReport

FMJ enhances penetration in many cases compared to HP, which is often desirable in a self-defense situation, as people don't stand face to face shooting, they get behind cover, and you need to shoot through cover to reach them.

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

Out of those two choices I would go with 45ACP.

• 3 years ago

Use the one that fits your gun.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.