They took my husband off my dental insurance?

We've been going to our dentist regularly for months and only now they informed us that my husband hasn't been covered by my insurance this year after already having the work done. Now they want us to pay them over $6000! I never had any notice given to me by my insurance nor my dentist that he was... show more We've been going to our dentist regularly for months and only now they informed us that my husband hasn't been covered by my insurance this year after already having the work done. Now they want us to pay them over $6000!
I never had any notice given to me by my insurance nor my dentist that he was uninsured and charged us like he was covered. Like most people we have bills and there's no $6000 sitting around waiting to be thrown into the wind.
I can't find anything to point me in the right direction.
Update: I think what I found is that when I has enrolled him in my health insurance coverage I couldn't get the document to prove him as a dependent so they removed coverage. We decided to remove him anyway though. What they didn't tell me is they would also drop him from my dental and vision coverage without those... show more I think what I found is that when I has enrolled him in my health insurance coverage I couldn't get the document to prove him as a dependent so they removed coverage. We decided to remove him anyway though. What they didn't tell me is they would also drop him from my dental and vision coverage without those documents. I'm sure that there's some fine print nonsense I didn't catch so they have a loophole to pin it on my but damn, a notice would have been courteous.