TPS error code 41 on Toyota, please help!?

Okay let me get you up to speed on what's wrong, so I bought this Toyota car (Carina 210 1996 model) its condition is great and such apart from this stupid error code 41 which corresponds to TPS signal according to http://www.troublecodes.net/toyota/ .

I checked the tps sensor myself with a multimeter it seems to give steady increases in voltage( no drops, no abrupt spikes) . When the throttle is closed reading was-: 0.5v and when fully open reading was 3.8v. I've heard that this should be 4.5v from YouTube videos.

I tried pulling the EFI fuse and putting it back on for a reset and went for a drive to come back to see code 41 yet again! I was so frustrated.

And by the way when I cleared the computer memory by efi thing, without starting (didn't even step on the gas) then car I checked for error codes again and the code 41 came up . I mean even without starting the car or stepping on the gas...

Now my question is, is it possible that the previous owner fitted a TPS that's not for my car? Could that give me this error?.

Why I'm assuming this is that, the code 41 came up even right after efi reset ( didn't start the engine or drive ) .

If you have any advice on troubleshooting and fixing the car, please tell me it'll be a lot of help. Even references on how to fix would be great.

Thanks a lot!

I checked my ECM connectors just visually without taking them off, the wires were full of dirt. I took a picture of it, there's no way of sending it here.

• paul h
    Favorite Answer

I'd agree with the other poster that you may need to test the wiring between the ECU and TPS for high resistance which maybe causing the bad/low readings from the TPS at WOT. Also make sure you have a good ground wire connection for it which can throw off proper readings. If you find the wiring has high resistance, then check for corroded connectors, frayed wiring, etc.. and repair as needed. Or run a new wire and bypass the old wiring between the ECU and TPS. Code 41 is simply showing there is a problem with the TPS circuit...more testing is needed..

If you suspect a wrong part has been installed, then by all means, check on that as well. Your previous question that I answered stated the part number on the part was 89452-20120 whereas one parts source for your model shows a 89452-22090 unless I'm looking up the wrong model. ..link below for a CEMMK engine...1996 Carina AT212 model. It's possible the original part may also carry a different part number than the replacement one...check with a Toyota dealer or parts store to verify if the number on the part is correct for your model if the wiring checks out OK.

Is the throttle fully opening? if not, you'll get low readings at WOT too. Or the TPS potentiometer may have a dead spot at/near WOT.

http://toyota.epc-data.com/carina/at212/32234/elec...

Various Carina models/engines...

http://www.cars-directory.net/specs/toyota/carina/...

• Gayal3 years agoReport

And I looked everywhere online, couldn't find what tps part number came original with the car

Before going any further you need to locate the ECM, remove the connector, switch your multi-meter to the lowest ohm scale and check the continuity of the 3 wires between the TPS connector and the ECM connector. It won't take long, just do it, the readings should all be less than .5 ohms. Also carefully check the condition of the connectors and pins.

• Gayal3 years agoReport

hey, Thanks for the answer. Got any idea of where the ECM is? is it under the dash?