How should I prepare for my first archaeological field school next month?

I am camping for two weeks in bear country-New Hampshire-in a tent/sleeping bag, which I have barely done. I am interested in advice on adapting to the food, what to wear, etiquette, etc?

Any funny stories from the field would also be appreciated :)

Favorite Answer

Bears are not an issue that you need to consider as long as all food is stored securely away from your tent. I have met hundreds of black bears and Alaskan grizzly bears without any negative interactions, aside from once having my vehicle broken into at 8,500 feet, the base of Kit Carson Peak, while I was camping at 11,500 feet. The bear bit into a box of Puffs tissues. Your clothing should be quick-drying fleece, layered with synthetic pants and shirts. No cotton clothes. I do not go camping anywhere without a down jacket and down sleeping bag. Food should be fairly typical of meals that you prepare at home. Make meals with instant brown rice, pasta, dried vegetables, peas, and beans if you want to create foods from dehydrated packages when camping. Eat as much fresh vegetables and fruit as possible to maintain proper fiber in your diet. Drink plenty of water.

Take along Preparation H.