I really need help picking out a new camera !?

I am going on a cruise to Bermuda in August and I want to buy a new camera ! I am leaning towards the Sony RX 100 2 or the New Panasonic LUMIX DC-ZS70 I am by no means an expert at photography and I know next to nothing about cameras I need help deciding which one is a better choice. All I really want it good picture quality , maybe a touch screen and built in wifi! Any help would be appreciated greatly!

• qrk
    Favorite Answer

The RX100 is a pretty darn good camera since it sports a 1 inch sensor. The ZS70 has a much physically smaller sensor which means image quality won't be as good, especially in low light. Coming from a DSLR world, I was impressed how well the RX100 does. Another feature of the RX100 is being able to operate in manual mode with convenient controls. There are other cameras with 1 inch sensors like the Canon G7 and G9 that are equally as impressive as the Rx100.

One thing the ZS70 gives you is lots of zoom, but that comes at a price in image distortion and light gathering ability. The Sony and Canon cameras have a much smaller zoom range that is right in the sweet spot for most casual photography, plus, the aperture is more than a stop faster meaning better able to do low-light photography.

Personally, I would go with the RX100 as the extended zoom range of the Lumix wouldn't interest me.

If you're going to the tropics, be sure to get a small dry bag for the camera so you can survive rain showers.

• Bernd

They all take fine photos. The user is usually the weak link. Understanding lighting and composition is more critical that which camera.

Whatever you buy - practice with it alot before leaving town.

• keerok

Picture quality depends on your skill. The camera is only a tool. Both cameras are good. I personally prefer the Sony. You'll get the same picture no matter what you choose.