Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 3 years ago

Is there anything I can do about an insurance company falsely charging my family?

I am 20 years old and in the military, and recently got my license. While looking for insurance my family and I called Geico, Progressive, Liberty Mutual, and USAA. All of the calls were only asking for quotes, and in the end USAA was my final decision (They were $300 cheaper than the three other options). Well today (about four months since we called about the quotes) progressive sent my family a bill that said they were giving "providing me" with insurance for the last four months. This brought my families bill up by $490 a month. My family and I never stated that we ever wanted insurance and we explicitly said we ONLY wanted a quote. Especially when we found out that my insurance was going to cost just short of $500 a month. So is there anything I (or a lawyer) can do about getting these charges removed? The insurance company seems pretty set on making us pay for the service that I haven't used and that can't even be applied to me because I live in a different state that the insurance policy doesn't have coverage in. This is extremely outrages and I am willing to reach out to the JAG officers on my base to discuss ways of possibly settling this if the insurance company won't back down. All I want to know if it'll even be worth it before I go and start some kind of case with my lawyers. It would be slightly embarrassing and disheartening if my JAG officers told me I showed up for no reason and that my question was pointless. Thank you for any and all answers!

The insurance is car insurance (just in case someone couldn't infer that since I never explicitly stated it)

Favorite Answer

You don't need to involve the JAG in this, or get a lawyer.

Send the bill back with a letter (keep a copy of the letter for yourself and a photocopy of the bill) clearly saying you'd only called for a quote and did not recontact them to purchase a policy with them. That you've already gone with a different insurance company for your insurance. Notify them that if they continue with this you are going to file a complaint with your state's insurance commissioner.

Policies are always paid up front, not billed after the fact. What they did can be disputed. If they send you another bill detail everything in a letter and send it to your state's insurance commissioner as a fraud complaint. You can find the address by googling it for your state.

• D J

Send it back & tell them you never requested insurance from them.

Insurance companies do not provide insurance without an application, If you did not apply it is a scam. Talk to your JAG

• Pat

Write a letter to the company CEO.

Google his name and address.

Tell him that unless you have a letter from him stating that you have never had a policy, you owe them nothing, and that they will stop all collection efforts, you will file a legal complaint against them with your state insurance commissioner.

Google that name too.

Once you get the letter, file a complaint anyway.

• Bob

Don't pay itamd ask them for proof that you asked for them to insure you

yep