Why is there not a third Devilman OVA?

I am a huge Devilman man and I love the franchise. But there's one thing that's always bugged me; the late 80s-early 90s OVAs just end two episodes in. The Demon Bird ends right before Xenon's declaration of Armageddon. And they ended it as if it they were going to make a sequel. So what happened? Was a third OVA not in the budget, was a third OVA planned at all? Please let me know!

P.S. I know that many people claim that Amon: Apocolypse of Devilman is a sequel, but it isn't. It's based off the 1999 manga "Amon: The Dark Side of Devilman".

• Ciph
    Best Answer

OVAs are made to promote the source material but also to test the waters for a TV adaptation. When the first OVA came out, a Devilman novel was released just before it, both titles promoted each other, those probably sold well enough to try making a second OVA, but the second OVA didn't sell well enough to keep the series going.

They'll keep making stuff if people are buying it, but in this case there were no more Devilman books, manga or animation for 10 years after the second OVA, which means the franchise just wasn't making enough money to attract investors.