???

Football ~ Do you think Joe Montana is overrated?

There's quite a few who do but the majority considered him the goat before this past Super Bowl. I don't see how Tom Brady is not universally recognized as the goat but that's a debate for another time no matter how factual him being the goat is but anyways let's break it down with Joe Montana. One of the deciding factors on him being so highly ranked is that he was 4-0 in the Super Bowl, spectacular in all four nearly flawless actually but unlike Terry Bradshaw who was also 4-0 and played great in the Super Bowl, Joe Montana was also a great regular season Quarterback throughout his career. 8 time Pro Bowler and 2 time League MVP while his best years were with Jerry Rice, Joe Montana did win 2 rings before Rice arrived. Critics still say he benefited heavily from the talent and coaching on his team even excluding Jerry Rice. But I still think Joe was an elite Quarterback and master of the two minute drill either way, I mean even being older coming off injuries he was still that guy with the Chiefs. I don't think he was a game manager, I think he was perfect for the West Coast offense, very smooth accurate passer, he could improvise, throw on the run, he was nimble deceptively mobile, he was clutch and had the two minute magic. But it's not really about that, do you think he has been glorified throughout the years ? Yeah he has but I don't think he's overrated. I have him behind only TFB on my all time list

Thoughts ?

Favorite Answer

I do. His numbers in regular season are not as impressive as the current Quaterbacks. He never thrown for more then 4,000 yards in any year he played, even having the best WR of the history. Besides, he faced players who choked in the big game, like Marino and Elway ( 10-26, 108 yards, 0 TD, 2 Int.).

I think that Joe is in the Top 5, behind Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Johnny Unites. But if Rodgers or Brees wins another Superbowl, they will surpass Joe in the All-time list.

• M. Diego
      3 years agoReport

Joe's numbers WERE impressive for his era. When he retired he was 4th all time in yards and TD and 3rd in QBR. Tom Brady is also 4th, 4th and 3rd respectively

• k w

joe was a player...and he didn't play last year either..........screwball.....so no.

No,but I think you,******,must be sick pedophile😃

No I don't.

• Alice

Montana had 12 probowlers on offense and put up inferior numbers to Jeff George. Yes he's incredibly overrated.

• Bob

I think he is a little overrated

"goat" what?

If you're a 49er fan, Montana will always be the best that ever was. Four SB rings is a huge part of it, but his overall stats are just as important. Then there's inflate gate which will tarnish Brady's reputation forever. Unless, that is, if you're a Patriots fan, then inflate gate was a bunch of nonsense.

• Bob
      3 years agoReport

GOAT= greatest of all time

Montana is better than Brady and I could give hundreds of reasons why.

But you talk about the people around him. Montana had two rings before Rice got there. Walsh is overrated. All he did was take Paul Brown's offense and modernize it a little bit. Never won back to back super bowls. Look at the talent Montana had around him in the first two super bowls. Yet he still won. And that was at a time when teams were good not like today.

• Alice
      3 years agoReport

Montana had Dwight Clark for those two years, idiot.

Never heard of him, so I guess not. And I watch sports.

• k w
      3 years agoReport

twas b4 you were born........