In Alabama can a 18 year old be forced to go to church or not?

My legal guardian has forced me to go to church since I was in elementary school ,now that I m out of high school and moved in with my grandmother can she still force me to go?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Once you are 19 and competent, you are your own person. You do just about anything legal, and that includes going or not going to church. Your previous guardian is not your guardian any more (unless a court say you are not legally competent).

But .. at age 18 in Alabama, you are still bound by your guardian's decisions.

• Login to reply the answers
  • J M
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

no

• HJW
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

The age of majority in Alabama is 19 not 18. So answer is Yes.

• 3 years ago

Legally, she can't, but in terms of home discipline, she can. In other words, she can't force you to attend church, but there are other pressures she can bring to bear by virtue of being an adult with authority over someone that lives in her home. If she pays for your phone service, for example, she can withdraw it at any time until you comply with her wishes.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • PAMELA
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

No, once you are 18 you please yourself.

• Bob
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

There's an old saying that if you're not paying the rent or the mortgage and you're living under somebody's roof do you live by their rules

• 3 years ago

No

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

In Alabama, all black people are "apprentices" until they reach their 30th birthday. Then they are free, once they pay their boss for letting them work for them until then.

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

Yes, if it is a house rule that everyone in the household needs to go to church.

Her house, her rules.

Don't like her rules, move out.

• 3 years ago

It's good for you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.