Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 3 years ago

Colt 1911 - 45 acp value?

My friend is offering me 1911 Colt, Serial #34591 for $700, It's made in 1913. Does it have any historical value? Is it worth the price?

Favorite Answer

That's a rough looking pistol, obviously not all original, at about 20% to 30% more than you'd pay to get a decent new 1911A1. I'd pass.

edit _____________________________________________________________________

I think I've deciphered the frame markings

ESSEX ARMS CORP

ISLAND POND VT

If it shoots reliably I'd give about $200 for it. Maybe.

• gunplumber_462
      3 years agoReport

L.N. you were first to note it was an aftermarket frame. It just kept bugging me until I looked at it on a different computer and the image was sharper. I*LA*D **ND, VT was enough to get it.

First off, it's not original. The serial number, IF it was a Colt, would date it at 1913. It's NOT a Colt. The SLIDE looks like a Colt, but as Gunplumber has pointed out, it's an aftermarket frame by Essex. Not the worst, but definitely a far cry from the best, too.

So it's got nearly NO historical value to begin with.

Add to this the fact that it's a far cry from all original (they didn't have extended slide stops like that on 1911's back in 1913) -- no telling what else is no longer original.

And the shape it's in...it looks like someone put it in a garbage disposal a few times. Which would devalue it even if it HAD historical value.

I think Gunplumber is being generous. Probably because he could turn it into a project gun.

I'd say 150, tops.

It's not worth anything NEAR 700 dollars. If you pay that much for it, I've got a much better 1911 in much better condition, made in 1987, that I'll sell you for 2000 -- a bargain!

And at least MINE looks and shoots BRAND NEW, reliably, in stainless.

Someone is trying to cheat you. If it's a friend...try to be nice about it.

Couple of years ago i saw a one sell for $1,800.00. Military issue from the early 1920's with it's flap holster of the same age. Find the right buyer.

• Quinn

Do NOT EVER list your gun's serial number on the Internet. That is a big gigantic "no-no". You need to delete this question. Value of gun is based on condition and year of manufactured. You don't get that from a serial number.

• Robin

depends who has carried it in the past and whether you have any documentation

700 is not enough offer 1000

Unless it has some history that can be validated.....maybe $70, but $700- no way.

• L.N.

Looks like a WWII slide married to an aftermarket frame. Offer him $400 if it shoots well.

• Nice Guy
      3 years agoReport

No sir, it is NOT an original Colt frame. The first and most obvious dead giveaway is the FONT OF THE SERIAL NUMBER.

If you have ever seen a pre-1920's Colt 1911, you will note the style of the numbers. They are significantly different.