Wedding Guest Place Cards?

Do you traditionally have place cards for each individual guest or for each specific party attending your wedding? Thanks in advance for any and all helpful information!!

Update:

To make this question easier to understand, would I need a place card for each specific couple invited or for each individual. Once again Thank You!!

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It depends on the type of wedding you are having. If it is quite formal, you would want to have place cards at each place setting and then have a master list on a board at the entrance of the reception showing which table guests are seated at. For instance at Table One, John Smith, Jody Smith, David Howe, Janet Howe, and so on. Generally, most tables seat ten people, but check with your venue to get a definitive answer to that. Either you or someone you trust should take care of setting up the place cards and table number on either the night before the wedding or on the morning of the wedding.

In a less formal wedding, you might assign guests to a specific table, but choose to not put place cards at each place setting. You would definitely need to number the tables and have the master list at the entrance to the reception. This master list should be on something the size of a sheet of bristol board (about 22" x 28") or two if necessary. You would list the table number and then under this heading, the list of the guests seated at that particular table.

So, you need to decide who will sit at each table before you can do up the place cards and the master seating chart. Check out this web site to get information on assigning places to guests. https://apracticalwedding.com/wedding-seating-char...

Hope this helps you! It's a lot of work and the earlier you get it done, the better it will be. Then as people RSVP, you can ensure they are at the right table or remove them and set up the table with another guest to fill in the place setting. A lot of people get in heated discussions over the placement of guests, so keep a cool head and don't leave this to the last minute to arrange. Best wishes for your big day!

• 3 years ago

Each person.

• 3 years ago

You'd have individual cards if you're doing a full seating chart, but from what I can tell, most people today just do a "table assignment". You give the tables a name or a number, and at the front, people learn what table they're at. Then they just seat themselves, meaning you don't have to worry about place cards.

• 3 years ago

3 main options:

- seating plans, with place cards at every place

- seating plans, with table names / numbers but free seating on the tables themselves

- no planned seating

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • edward
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

My wedding which is planned already, my fiancee wants to have a seating chart and place cards for the people individually, i just told her my family likes to seat themselves but she insists

• Blunt
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

If having a seating arrangements, you must provide a place card for each individual guest.

Some people just have a table "head table" for the wedding party, but that is not a seating chart or arrangement.

• 3 years ago

You can do this but what is easier is to number the tables and then assign the number of people to those tables. You do not have to get down to who sits in what chair at that table but everyone will have a seat and you can place people at the tables by importance like to have family members up near the bridal table and associates and co workers seated further back. It is more work to assign individual seats and not really necessary

• 3 years ago

I have seen it done both ways. For a plated dinner, individual place cards for everyone, couple, married all. Others just the name of the table. Like there will be 6 Jones at table #1, then out of the 6 they could take any seat at table 1.

• 3 years ago

I am going to guess this will be for the dinner (or lunch) portion of the wedding.

You can have both. Couples will have one place card while someone who is there by themselves will have only their name on it. It will save time since you don't have to write out each individual card.

For example, your parents would only need the one while a younger sibling or cousin without a date would have their own name.

• 3 years ago

Totally depends on the wedding. My venue requires them for a plated dinner.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.