Buying kitchen knives?

I am planning to buy a Cook knife for my own use. I am a culinary student. I am most interested in japanese cook knife because they're sharp. I have my eye currently on Shun cook knife, 20cm.

Anythoughts on this?

Best Answer

If by cook knife you mean chefs knife, this is the most versatile knife in the kitchen and you will use it for most of your cutting in the kitchen so it is a good investment. Paring and specialty knives like butcher knives, scimitars, etc would be the other, much less used knives.

I helped with a local cooking school for a few years and our best chef, who was also the head of the community college culinary department taught our knife skills class. He said the knife he reached for the most was a 10" chefs knife and he had several of his personal knives he'd bring to our classes.

At that time I was using my 6" chefs and 8" chefs knives the most but have found myself preferring my 10" chefs knives the most now. The 10" is the most versatile as I can use it for larger things easily like cabbages or other bulky vegetables that are harder to cut with the smaller knives. So...if someone were to ask me what I thought would be the best knife to spend a whole lotta money one, I'd say the 10", based on my experience. And Shuns are excellent, in fact, one of my teachers favorites was his Shun.

Even though its true that those Japanese knives stay sharp you should still buy a chef's knife and a good cleave. A stainless steel cleaver will stay sharp a long time and is good for cutting up vegetables and making things like Cole slaw or meats for Chinese and other Oriental dishes. Its also good for crushing and chopping up garlic or cutting up green onions. I would say a good quality cleaver is a must must buy for a chef.

whatever you want! don't worry about what others think is a good deal or knife, just get what you can use. And there are some knives that stay as sharp as the Jap knives do. But I don't mind resharpening my cheap American or custom made knives.

Your instructors will tell you this: The BEST knife is the one that feels the best to you. The weight, the handle shape, how it feels in Your hand. Mercer's are the knife of choice at many culinary schools these days including CIA. I use my Mercer's from culinary as well as a Henkel's 5 star-because it is lighter and has a curved handle, and the Henkel's boning knife bends a bit easier than some others.

Source(s): Professional Chef

If that is what you have your heart set on, then by all means get it. I'm sure it is a great knife. But you don't need an expensive knife. I've been using a $25 Chicago Cutlery knife for 10 years or more, and I still love it as much as the first day I bought it. If you take care of it, and hone and sharpen it regularly, it will last you for many many years, regardless of the price. Prestige is not worth the high price, in my opinion.

I bought one at an Asian grocery store for $3.99 that I used for nearly 10 years. LOVED IT..could get it razor sharp, easy to touch up between projects and lasted for ever.

After that experience, I am not so sold on spending hundreds for one knife any more.

It was a short rectangle blade, wooden handle and thin metal..loved that knife!

buy what feels good to YOU. Everyone one works slightly different and also has different uses for their knives so it really has to be your decision.

• Tavy

All knives are made from stainless steel and are as sharp as you make them.

An expensive knife won't make you a better Chef.

Personally I go with knifes that fit my hands ( grip ). I have small hands. I like a knife that will fit my hands. For better cutting and use.

Maybe that's what you should do go check them out.