How can I make up for a bad GPA in high school in order to get in to university?

I m currently a sophomore with a 3.33gpa (as of last semester, but I m passing this semester with all A s and B s) and a 1260 PSAT score. I had a personal issue during freshman year that greatly impacted how I did in school, but now that I m back on my feet, I realize that it s going to be very difficult to catch... show more I m currently a sophomore with a 3.33gpa (as of last semester, but I m passing this semester with all A s and B s) and a 1260 PSAT score.

I had a personal issue during freshman year that greatly impacted how I did in school, but now that I m back on my feet, I realize that it s going to be very difficult to catch up.

I ve talked to my counselor and I m only allowed 50 more credits out of my high school - meaning I m limited on how many classes I could take at a community college to bring my weighted grade up. If I was to take 1 AP class next year, and work on passing 50 credits worth of college classes, would it possible for me to bring my GPA to a 3.9 or higher?

In addition, will passing AP tests but not taking the AP class look any good on college applications, other than just give credit?