promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthAlternative Medicine · 3 years ago

i don't understand how antibiotics work, can you answer these three questions i have? please?

hey

i understand that they kill the bad bacteria

but what i don't understand is that after you finish a course, do the bacteria ever come back?

and if they ever did -lets say years later.. will the same antibiotics work on them again?

also, why do people usually try to avoid taking antibiotics?

thanks for taking the time to explain

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Marc
    Lv 7
    3 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Antibiotics work by interfering with the life cycle of the bacterium. The bacterium cannot multiply in the presence of the antibiotic. So this allows the immune system to get an "edge" on the fight and overwhelm the infection. They dont "kill" the bacterium. So lets say you eat contaminated food and get an e coli infection. You get sick, go to the dr and get antibiotics. You take them, you recover and you are fine again. Now a few months later, you get exposed to e coli...you will get sick again. there is no immunity gained by the previous exposure. So you would need another round of antibiotics to get well again. People generally try to avoid taking antibiotics for several reasons. Side effects being the primary reason. Many of them have yucky side effects like gastritis, headaches and other nasty ones. Some can be so bad they can kill you. I have a severe reaction to penicillin, so bad that I can die. Some people want to try to wait it out to let the immune system get a workout so the body is stronger.

The body has lots of bacteria in it, some are good and some are not. Some are opportunistic...meaning given the right circumstances they will cause a problem. We generally have a symbiotic relationship with these bugs. For example, women who take antibiotics can be prone to yeast infections in the vagina. The yeast is always in there and is balanced by the presence of other bacteria. But if she takes antibiotics, the flora can be "thrown out" of balance, giving the yeast (candida) the upper hand and getting out of control.

Hope this clears it up for you!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

It is best to eat really fresh good foods. Take natural antibiotics, like locally grown honey, etc (do some research)

Try for natural cures first. This will help you build up your immunity to disease. Lots of herbs and spices in your foods build immunity too. Good yoghurt and probiotics etc.

We haven't taken antibiotics the chemical for years. Avoid if you can, then when you need them, they work well.

• m.
    Lv 6
    3 years ago

they kill "bad" and good, and screw up things in general, sometimes leaving the patient vulnerable to life threatening systemic infection. (and of course, they do nothing to correct the cause of why the infection started in the first place)

• 3 years ago

Google it. Google will explain

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

If you are infected by bacteria, antibiotics kill them.

The best analogy I can give you is weeds in your garden. You spray them with herbicide, and they die. Maybe some of your own plants die as well. Will they come back? Maybe. Will the weeds eventually build up a resistance to the herbicide you spray on them? That's a good possibility.

Bacteria are very good at building up resistance to conventional antibiotics. That's why we should limit our use of antibiotics as a preventative measure. Besides, antibiotics are excreted and end up in the septic system where bacteria can build up immunity to a very dilute exposure.

• 3 years ago

1) the bacteria can come back later however it will most likely be a different strain

2)this new strain will be more adapt and will be immuned to that specific antibiotic

3) people tend not to like antibiotics because they don't want to, in a sense, "help create" stronger bacteria that are all immuned to antibiotics

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.