Can I ask an admissions office why I was rejected from their school?

Earlier this year, I applied as a transfer student to two schools I felt--and still feel--incredibly passionate about. One of the schools was my absolute dream school during high school, and on a whim, I decided to apply again as a college student because my academics and extracurricular activities were far... show more Earlier this year, I applied as a transfer student to two schools I felt--and still feel--incredibly passionate about. One of the schools was my absolute dream school during high school, and on a whim, I decided to apply again as a college student because my academics and extracurricular activities were far superior than my paltry secondary record. And while I was even selected for an interview with this competitive school, worked incredibly hard on my essays, received several nice recommendation letters from professors and a non-profit I interned for, I was still rejected. While I've gotten over it (somewhat), I'm genuinely curious why I hadn't gotten admitted, because my academic profile and passions closely match the school.

My question is: is it appropriate to contact the Office of Admissions to ask why I was rejected? Do you know if schools respond well to this, or should I not bother? I wasn't sure if the school still had my information on file to even bother asking, and I've received mixed responses online whether or not this is the appropriate thing to do. Thank you!