How to upgrade Windows XP?

I'm trying to upgrade my old computer as much as it will let me, I have a Dell Dimension E510. Under system properties this is what it says: System: Microsoft Windows XP, Media Center Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3 Computer: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz 2.99 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM Physical Address... show more I'm trying to upgrade my old computer as much as it will let me, I have a Dell Dimension E510. Under system properties this is what it says:
System: Microsoft Windows XP, Media Center Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3
Computer: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz 2.99 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM Physical Address Extension

I try to select Windows Update on the computer but I get a connection problem message, but I am able to use the internet for anything else. I also tried going to Microsoft.com and choosing an upgrade, I tried Windows 7 to start off, and it gave me a message saying I can't open an msu file. But I don't know how to find the correct software to download msu files.

I know this computer is really old, but it runs good and internet is good. I just want to update it as much as possible so I could use it again.