if stopped by police and you get told to get out of your vehicle, can you refuse?

• DanRSN

yeah if you like. if you like being tasered, pepper sprayed and dragged out though your smashed open window.

No , I have a death wish anyway ...

ya, but he'll have probable cause then to search your car, and drag you out of it

No..

Source(s):

...I am a retired police officer. I retired as a sergeant, after 29 years, from a very large department, about 12,000 officers. I was a patrol officer for 4 years in a very diverse area. I was a tactical officer in the high rise project areas of my city. We called it vertical patrol in that we walked the the stairways of the high rises most of the time. I did that for 5 years and was promoted by test to detective. I worked violent crime (homicide, sex, officer involved shootings, robbery, kidnapping, serious non property incidents) for 11 years until I was promoted to sergeant. I worked as a street supervisor, a bicycle patrol supervisor and a desk sergeant/watch commander. During my time as a tactical officer and a detective I was a unit representative for the police union.

I have a B.A in English and an M.S. in Law Enforcement Administration....

Sure, if you love being yanked out or if your colored, shot :)

• james

The first thing a cop is to do is tell you why he stopped you. If it does not do that first then NO. Illegal stop. You are under no charge. After he tells you the why yes you must.

No. You must do exactly what the police tell you to do and always keep your hands in the air and viable to the police so you won't get killed by a trigger happy cop who may think you're reaching for a weapon. Cops will kill you as they are taught in training to shoot to kill, not to shoot to disable. There is no second guessing a cop, as the cop will not hesitate to shoot to kill were there to be any suspicion a person they stop may pose a threat to their life.

• Ussarn

If you intend to do that it would be a good idea to call for a supervisor or State Trooper as soon as you get pulled over and tell them why you're afraid to get out ..... Like you're concerned that the officer is going to beat the cramp out of because s/he did it before. Or that you have some medical condition like lazy eye or diabetes that you feel will be misconstrued ..... This however will only delay you from getting out of your vehicle until back up arrives.

*driving with high or low blood sugar can be a DU I if it is impairing your ability to drive because DU I is anything driving under the influence of anything that impairs your ability to drive.

** if you are trying to not get out just because you don't what to it would best not to try it.

yes if you want to go the Jail. Any command Given by a Law Enforcement officer is considered a lawful command. Unless it causes Harm to oneself or others.

Pretty much anything they ay you have to do.

• Bruce

The US Supreme Court determined an officer is allowed to order the driver of a vehicle out. The case was Pennsylvania v. Mimms. The case of Maryland v. Wilson allows the officer to order passengers out. Because these are US Supreme Court cases, they apply to all states.

I suppose you could refuse, but you can expect to be yanked out through the window. And yes, he will break the window if necessary and you will be charged with resisting arrest and/or obstructing depending on why he ordered you out.

Source(s): 24 years law enforcement