Al asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 3 years ago

If I take a multi vitamin on a vegan diet, could I get all my required nutrition?

if I take Centrum or 1 a day

Favorite Answer

"If I take a multi vitamin on a vegan diet, could I get all my required nutrition?"

If you take a multivitamin, while following a strict vegetarian diet, as adhered to by those who are vegan, at least in theory you should be getting all of your required nutrition. However there's more than just vitamins and minerals, to be taken into consideration, although some less informed who like myself has a diet that contains meat, will claim erroneously protein, can't be gotten from plant based foods, or that the proteins are incomplete, or are somehow inferior. This is a myth, old wive's tale based on debunked pseudo science, that has been long proven false. Such people who promote such falsehoods are a pain in thew neck minus about three feet to those who are even semi knowledgeable, and done a bit more indepth reading on nutrition.

Other areas of concern in nutrition, can be in the other nutrients such as choline. While a few makers of vitamin and mineral supplements may add some choline, it may though not be enough, to meet the needs of the body, if it's even present in the multivitamin.

One vitamin I've YET to see listed is any of the different isomers of vitamin K2. Yes vitamin K1 is found, but the properties of the K2 isomers are somewhat different.

Another to be aware of, is vitamin D, many of the supplement makers, uses vitamin D2, which is not the body's preferred form, but rather vitamin D3 is the preferred form. Now however MOST multivitamins, that do contain the preferred form of vitamin D are not suitable for those who are either a strict vegetarian, or vegan.

Now to make a brief point, one can either through diet, or through a combination diet, with supplements added as a safety, get all of the essential nutrients, and yet still either be low clinical, or can even still be deficient, in one or more areas, as I had alluded to previously. various genetic factors, along with different diseases, can and do play a role, in the absorption of the different nutrients.

• Louis

Well don't forget, vitamins just have the micro nutrients. but protein, carbs, and fats are the macro nutrients and they are very important to good nutrition.

A multi is a good idea but eating a whole food plant based diet that is the first step.

try keeping track of both macro and micro nutrients with something like SparkPeople or CronOmeter.

• lila

Not necessarily. I personally do not understand the point of a vegan diet. It is so incredibly easy to fall short of many, many nutrients, that unless you know exactly what you're doing, you'll likely end up unhealthier and more malnourished than someone who includes all five food groups in their diet.

You do understand that even if you do not eat animal products, the rest of the world will continue to do so any way, right?

Only if you eat a balanced diet.